Has Facebook taken people away from using forums?

Discussion in 'Community Organization' started by simonetta, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Yes

98 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. Other

14 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. Namorat

Namorat Duder

+211
    Planning parties makes sense to me. None of the people I party with are registered on forums and that is probably true for many others as well. The rest of the positive things could be done on a forum as well and I don't know what's so addictive about flash games to many people. I always assumed the big plus of Facebook was the fact that "everyone" is registered there.
    Anyway, thank you for the answer.

2. m_k

m_k Aspirant

+0
    Have a look at Tapatalk - easy and free to install on your board, and both free and paid client versions for iphone/android

If you want to lay out some cash they will even create a branded app for you using the technology.

3. Riaz

Riaz Aspirant

+1
    Is there much serious discussion on Facebook? There are thousands of shallow and thousands of moribund Facebook groups but how many active serious groups are out there that would be well served by a forum?

If anybody comes up with speculations that Facebook is killing forums because it takes up too much time of internet users then how do you know that YouTube isn't taking up time that could be spent on forums?

4. BDTaylor

BDTaylor Aspirant

+5
    Don't Compete with Facebook

Precisely
    the key to surviving the "Social NETwork Explosion" as a forum is sense of community. You must provide your members that which FACEBOOK, or any other social network site for that matter, lacks. Community.
    Stress the theme of the forum. Don't try to make the forum more like them, make it less like them. Provide a place where it feels personal and the folks will stay on the forum.
    Try to go head to head with Facebook and you might as well change your forum name to ghosttown.com.

Find your niche market and make your forum cater to their sense of community. :2cents:

5. Julio

Julio Fan

+2
    Someone from my community created a FB fan page but I don't promote it on my forums. We have maybe like one or two links in a post that's not even a sticky. In the fan page there's around 44 people and what I see is for small talk and announcements.

6. computerology

computerology Enthusiast

+37

Thanks, I'm totally going to check this out and see what it's all about. Anything I can do to increase mobile use is basically linked to the future of our organization.

7. MarkR

MarkR Coder/Designer

+34
    I'm pretty sure some forums were affected by Facebook in one way or another.

8. JulieVA

JulieVA Habitué

+98
    Looking @ TapaTalk right now!

9. Bytecode

Bytecode Developer

+1
    I think Facebook may have taken some people away from forums a bit (since people seem to spend so much time there), but I doubt it will kill forums.

Really, when was the last time you saw someone having a meaningful conversation on facebook? It's good for genral chit-chat, but not much more, in my opinion.

10. AF

AF Enthusiast

+2
    The forum software developers were myopic from the beginning ... it took

them YEARS to simply embed YouTube etc ... they have yet to offer a TUBE

LAYOUT
    which has been proven to attack eyeballs and incite conversations.

11. computerology

computerology Enthusiast

+37
    This looks very intriguing however it only seems to plugin to forum-only software rather than cms software that has forums, which is what I use. A lot of open source forum software is based on phpBB, so there may be hope.

I do like what the software can do, but I dont like how the "free" version works, by starting the mobile user at a humungous list of every forum that has ever installed the software and forcing them to search for yours in the list of forums or categories. You can pay them for an exclusive-use app though that will only hit your forum, which is more along the lines of what I'm looking for.

12. JulieVA

JulieVA Habitué

+98
    We'd all like the exclusive app...but the exclusive app is $999.

Do you have that kind of budget for your forum?

13. BDTaylor

BDTaylor Aspirant

+5
    exclusive app

$999???
    :Protest:
    that's WAY outside "budget"
    sheeeeesh:hissy:

14. cpvr

cpvr Tazmanian Master

+163
    The only thing taking people away from forums is the content and the fact is that people aren't using social media to their leverage these days and just complaining that social media is to blame for the "shortfall" of forums...

Forums have been around a long time, they're not going anywhere.

15. computerology

computerology Enthusiast

+37
    If I do a tournament I make a $5,000 profit. If it's outsourced to one of my moderators in another geographic area, I net a 10% royalty of $500. A small cheap scenario I'll make about $600. Time to run some tournaments and host some games. My advertising income is dismal, but I still net about $1100 a year.

Not in the budget right today, but by the end of summer I should be able to drum up the cash.

Problem is I'm not using one of the officially supported board types, I'm using a variant of newbb, which is probably based on an older verison of PhpBB (I use the site more for the CMS than the forum capabilities). I asked the customer service for some assistance, and they havent answered me in over a week.

Not a good sign for their support capabilities.

16. AF

AF Enthusiast

+2
    I am noticing the owners of Big forums posting more and more on Facebook

and NOT their forums ... more apps coming for FB to compete with niche forums.

forum developers are taking MONTHS and often way longer to get simple things done ...

niche subjets are becoming bigger on FB ... forums will be hit further.

17. JulieVA

JulieVA Habitué

+98
    Facebook is 100% about the shallow.

People do a whole lot of pretending on Facebook. Plus, the convo is always light & non-commital.

Time is finite...so, this is a zero sum game. People only have so much leisure time.

FB is addictive - no doubt about it. People are less community oriented & more "me" oriented nowadays. People want instat gratification & they want to perpetrate like they are 100% happy. FB provides exactly that. No way around it.

A community is different. It's deeper. Discussion...making connections...getting to know people who are interested in something which interests you....thats what a Forum offers.

18. hari

hari Tazmanian

+46
    I am one of those who has admitted defeat and I've retired from the whole forum game. Why? Because it wasn't working for me and my empty forums only attract spammers these days. I have long gone past the stage of crying over spilt milk though and I cut my losses.

The bigger, more well established forums themselves find it hard these days and only the really big ones are as active as they used to be 4-5 years ago. The medium and smaller forums have been plain driven out of business and the ones that continue are struggling on with a few dedicated members.

Fact is, facebook might be blamed for all this, but I think the whole internet is driven by broad trends and people gravitate to and from fads. Social networking is the current fad. There might always be place for good, serious discussion online but those places are fewer than they used to be and the bigger forums have survived purely on the numbers game.

Quantity is what matters on the WWW. People like to talk a lot about quality, but sadly the marketing game ensures that those website with the most traffic wins, no matter whether they churn out gems or pure crap.

19. JulieVA

JulieVA Habitué

+98
    Hari,

Have you considered that, by definition, fads actually end?

20. Namorat

Namorat Duder

+211
    I assume Hari may believe that FB's time will end in that sense that another "new hot thing" will emerge and Facebook will experience what forums experience at the moment.
    If so, I agree :)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted