Has Chrome changes it's address bar autocomplete settings?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by R0binHood, May 12, 2019.

1. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+832
    The last couple of days I've noticed that I've accidentally carried out search terms after typing the first couple of letters of a URL instead of visiting the URL itself.

It seems that search terms are being prioritised over URLs for a number of sites.

Is it just me, or has there been a change rolled out here to try and get us to visit google more often?

Loads of the sites that I visit frequently used to appear after one or two letters

upload_2019-5-12_12-18-9.png

The only setting I can find includes both search and URLs and has been there for years.

upload_2019-5-12_12-19-22.png

2. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+864
    957B836B-D2FE-451F-900D-DEB2CF2DE630.jpeg

Don’t use chrome, Safari auto complete is on point, one letter and boom in most cases ..

maybe your browser cannot handle all the sites that start with the letter “p”

3. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,166
    Works fine for me, both on Chrome and Opera.

4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+595
    As far as I can tell, Chrome offers suggestions based on your browsing history. It may also throw in an advertiser ahead of a site you more frequently visit. In my screengrab, Tools4Flooring is a site I have visited, but not nearly as frequent as my own website, which takes the next 3 slots. However, T4F is a Google Adsense advertiser and they are one of the sponsors for a contest/giveaway I am currently running, but I don't spend much time on their website (maybe a couple times a month at most). I probably spend a lot more time on TerritoryAhead.com and TAZ, but neither of those appeared in the list.

search-via-chrome-address-bar.jpg

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  5. overcast

overcast Participant

+20
    I think they give first preference to the browsing history, then they auto complete from the website searches.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.