Has anyone here ever had to really 'deal' with COPPA?

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by cheat_master30, Dec 5, 2017 at 5:39 PM.

1. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+934
    Beyond the 'you must be 13 to register' thing that most people ignore on the sign up page?

Because I remember hearing in the past that you could accept members under that age by having their parents mail permission forums or something similar, but I don't recall ever seeing anything like this ever happening online. Heck, I don't recall ever seeing a parent getting annoyed their kid signed up on an internet forum or social media site either.

So has anyone here actually ever dealt with that other part of the COPPA regulations? Have you ever actually been sent a parental consent form for a member under 13?

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  2. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,116
    Not me. Almost 14 years and numerous sites, many 10s of thousands of members.

3. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+1,837
    Never. It seems to be mostly US-specific, and a way for minors' registration to be prevented by default rather than authorized.
    Nearly all interactions occur publicly on forums except in the PM system.

I wonder wether it would make sense for forums to have 'supervised' accounts, where a trusted user/parent would receive notifications about notable events regarding a dependant's account/PMs/friends. Accounts have traditionally been independant and separate (even alts).

4. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,092
    I've never had to deal with it and generally remove all reference to it as I'm based in the UK as are all the sites that I own. However...

I've done this or something similar in the past. In simple terms we set up a user group specifically for member's children.

5. Digital Phoenix

Digital Phoenix Coffee Ninja

+1,288
    Just out of curiosity, what niche was it?

6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,092
    Computer gaming.

7. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

+52
    • Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  8. Digital Phoenix

Digital Phoenix Coffee Ninja

+1,288
    What kind of information was being stored?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted