Hard to be a forum owner anymore...

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by Shawn Gossman, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,863
    Does anyone ever consider quitting forums altogether?

For those of you who've known me all these years, you know I've always been a big message forum supporter, having owned one forum after the other in all different types of niches. Now I have two forums. One is the biggest in its niche with over 8,000 members and the other is still growing but practically dead. I just find myself not getting into the forum mood lately, for the past year really.

I've sort of attached myself to being a YouTube creator now.

I'm still trying to hang on and remain a forum owner but it is a challenge these days, a big challenge. Anyone ever feel that way? What does a fella do?!

2. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+666
    I feel your pain...truly I do.

I make a great deal of effort, and so do my fellow staff members, but it seems to always be a steep uphill climb. But, I feel we are fighting the good fight, and so even if participation lags, I keep telling myself that we are providing a good service. Gone are the days when your average internet user seemed to appreciate good content, and robust features...now it seems most are takers rather than givers.

Faced with either giving up or continuing, I choose to continue and try to adapt to the less appreciative masses.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Shimei

Shimei Adherent

+226
    Every day. My own personal attitude has been soured. I announced that I was going to pull my board offline, and the members came through and encouraged me, both financially and emotionally. The recharge is something I really sincerely needed. I felt bad about having announced this, but financially and emotionally I was at rock bottom.

Like Mark hinted at above, having the right people around you can be very motivating. Especially when they are focused on a mission statement. I had it all wrong, I was focused on numbers, growth, etc, and it was all about me and my goals. If it was all about me I would of gave up already. But people made me realize it isn't about me, but service. I am happy to serve others the best I can.Sometimes that means self sacrifice and that put things in a whole new perspective.

Enjoy,
    William

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,471
    Been doing it for 15+ years now, and nope, not planning on giving up anytime soon.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+2,936
    You mean as a user or as an admin?
    If user, then no - there are to many sites that I participate in actively that are relative to niche's I'm interested in.
    If admin, then yes - in fact, I've shut down all my forums and now am only keeping a small personal blog. It was becoming more of a job than a joy and I decided to get out of that biz.

6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,887
    Likewise but I have shifted my attention more towards running customer services orientated forums rather than things I have a personal interest in.

7. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,382
    Been at this since 1996, and have found both enthusiasm and discouragement are a normal part of the cycle. It's always passed for me, and I try to redouble my efforts if I'm not enthused.... basically I fake it till I make it. In the long run, it's always worked out. I count on most of my competitors giving up when they feel challenged, forums are no different than other businesses... most fail.

Napoleon Hill had a great story about this in his book "Think And Grow Rich":
    http://www.selfhelpdaily.com/napoleon-hills-three-feet-from-gold/

8. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+136
    I've been running forums since the mid 80s before the internet. It's sort of an addiction to me. I won't stop. Worst case scenario I'll keep my forums online just because of the content that people might find interesting or need.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  9. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Devotee

+284
    I honestly feel like forums as we one knew it is dead. And now you need content to supplement the forum and even then there is a high chance of failure. I made my current blog/website as a blog first and foremost and a forum second. And its for my own personal entertainment value only. It doesn't matter to me if I get a single member. Although I have been involved in a post exchange service. But I have been exchanging posts with other forums and I haven't spent any money.

10. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,030
    I've been considering this myself.

11. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+4,944
    Gonna break out the Groucho Marx glasses?

upload_2017-7-13_13-26-43.png

12. Joeychgo

+3,030

Something like that. Actually been thinking about a cooking channel for my wife. This way I can get her to actually cook.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+136
    I'm sure you don't mean that. :p

I made this for Danielle: https://hearthealthydelights.com/

She loves to cook and is highly into organic and healthy eating. People started asking her to make meals for them so we started a service - her own little business. You never know what that little YouTube channel could turn into. Go for it!

14. Joeychgo

+3,030
    Remember this?

300536_10150398550007154_1166916736_n.jpg

15. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+136
    You just doxxed me! Ahhhhhhh! :p I certainly do. That was a cool event. I hear Mr. Lyle has gone into the healthy food business as well!

16. Joeychgo

+3,030

Yep -- he owns this: https://eatpurely.com/

17. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+136
    His site looks great. Darn 1%ers! :p I'm glad he's doing well. Entrepreneur extraordinaire!

18. Joeychgo

+3,030
    He's a great guy...

19. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,382
    We "sysops" called them a BBS back then :)

20. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+136
    I remember the first time I logged onto a BBS and saw the reference to "the sysop". I was thinking cyclops. :p

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted