Guitar much?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tracy Perry, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,594
    I've heard that lately the Gibson quality has REALLY dropped from what it was. One thing about the Martin's is that they are pretty consistent year to year - and as the guitar ages it opens up well.
    My ex brother-in-law has an older style Gibson 12 string acoustic/electric that sounds beautiful and is a really good looking guitar. But it's from the 50-60's era. He's played with some of the newer ones and they don't sound anywhere near the same according to him.

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,450
    That's not uncommon. I'm lucky enough to own a 1957 Fender Stratocaster worth approximately $25,000 and another identical guitar made in Japan under licence in 1982 by Fender Squier that cost me approximately $200-300. While my vintage '57 has a better tone, the '82 Japanese Fender Squier has a better neck profile and playing action.

One thing that I find slightly alarming about Martin Guitars is that they have jumped on the relic/distressing bandwagon. https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/15-series/000-15m-streetmaster/ In my view that hints a little of desperation and will probably damage their reputation in the long run.

3. Tracy Perry

+3,594
    I'm not to much into the "distressed" look..... but what they've done with the Retro series is really interesting (not looks related but sound).
    The ability that the Fishman F1 Aura Plus system is kind of a neat idea.
    On this guitar I wanted pure acoustic - no electronics of any type since I'm not really going to be playing in a stage environment with it but more likely small gatherings of friends in a house type setting. If I need amplification, I can add an LR Bagg system later.

I don't know if it's an act of desperation or more another market venue they want to try to pursue. Some people want that "look" but don't want to pay the price of what a well maintained Martin costs.
    I'd rather my guitar get a natural patina than being given one in a factory. And I like the "plain" look instead of the sunbursts, etc. - albeit the OM-28 does have some "fancy" added to it and is what increases the cost over the OM-21, which is pretty much the same guitar.

I debated on a Collings - but since Martin is what I originally wanted I figured it would be a safer bet to go with it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  4. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,450
    Yeah, don't get me wrong, Martin are still producing great guitars and you should be receiving a guitar that reflects what you've had to pay out. It just concerns me that they are starting to employ gimmicks that cost time and money but add nothing whatsoever to the tone and playability of their guitars.

5. Tracy Perry

+3,594
    I'm afraid that's filtering down to just about all products. It's not so much about the quality now, but the "looks". I took a gander at that guitar - and sorry, it's what I'd put into the FUGLY column.

I'm just a fan of the 'standard' style guitar (with our without cutouts) and am partial to acoustics. I couldn't tell you the first thing about an electric (other than an acoustic/electric) as I'm not into them nor the bass guitars.
    I figured I'd get the OM-28 instead of the OM-21 as it's probably one of the few higher end guitars I'll get for a while (although I wouldn't turn down an OM-42/000-42 if someone offered it to me :D ).

I like the look of the Collings OM3, but haven't ever laid my hands on one. None of the stores I've gone into have carried any of the Collings stuff. Guess next time I'm down in the Austin area I need to swing by Hill Country Guitars in Dripping Springs and see what the fuss is about them.

Honestly there's nothing inherently wrong with the Taylor I have, other than I'm not as comfortable with it as the 000 series I got to fondle. I just prefer the sound from the Martins over the Taylors that I've been exposed to. Luckily we are at a position in our life now that we can afford for me to buy the occasional toy like this without it killing us.

Going to go ahead and sign up with a guitar instructor also since I'm not as prone to "force" myself to practice at the house since I frequently get interrupted. One of the local instructors is a relative of my wife and he's not bad with a guitar and classical style music (his first love).

My wife was razzing me about getting one that was a "Cadillac" and I told her that I'd really only gotten the Chevy. Showed her this
    Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 5.23.11 AM.png

and she kinda harumphed and agreed that the OM-28 was more in line with what I was allowed to spend. :ROFLMAO:

It always helps the game plan to have something WAY out in right field to show to make them realize you actually were being "fiscally responsible" - even when you could have shaved some off if you didn't need some bling. :whistle:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  6. Tracy Perry

+3,594
    Sweetwater just sent me photos of the Martin that's loading up onto FedEd and should be here 06/28.

M2072425-angle-large.jpg M2072425-backbody-large.jpg

To say I'm stoked is an understatement. Instead of running to the door to see if the BBT showed up it will be to see if the BWT showed up.

7. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,329
    I would keep it as a camping instrument for now, you can always pass it down later, or sell it off.

8. Tracy Perry

+3,594
    Ended up giving it to my son to see if he would like to also learn to play. If he doesn't then it'll come back to me. Told him if he learned then he had a nice Martin to look forward to in the future. ;)
    Now the better half is warning me that I better not start suffering from a case of GAS (guitar acquiral syndrome). :p

9. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,329
    For sure, you would need much more room than your pipes take up now. :pipe:

10. Echo

Echo Runs with grenades

+614
    I have a Taylor 114 non-electric, love it to death, also have a few others including an older Martin.

11. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,121
  12. Tracy Perry

+3,594
    Honestly.. probably not.
    One thing is it has nylon strings. Nothing wrong actually with nylon strings (as a lot of classical guitars use them) but that guitar is more in line with something you would see in a WalMart in the kids toy section.
    They make noise, they can teach you finger positioning, but the sound is hardly ever something you will enjoy and they rarely stay in tune.
    Most of your "decent" beginners guitars are going to run around $125-$150USD (new prices - sometimes you can find them cheaper 2nd hand in a pawn shop).
    Stuff like Yamaha, Ovation, Ibanez.
    Just as an idea....
    https://www.sweetwater.com/c600--6_...ms=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJQcmljZSBSYW5nZSI6WyI0Il19fQ

13. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,450
    I agree, at that price it's unlikely to be viable for anything much at all. Buying a cheap guitar to learn on will usually (99 times out of 100) end up discouraging you from learning because the instrument will be difficult to play. Better to spend as much as you can and if you then decide it's not for you, you'll have something with resale value.

14. Echo

Echo Runs with grenades

+614
    I bought a very nice Fender off eBay for $125, it arrived well packed and was in mint condition...just tossing that out.

15. Tracy Perry

+3,594
    The new Martin just showed up.. instead of a BWT (big white truck) it came in a LWV (little white van)... but it got here.
    I can already tell that I'm going to like it MUCH better than the Taylor. Neck is much thinner and comfortable to me (probably nearer to what an electric guitar is) and the action is much lower. Once I got it out of the box and my grubby paws on it strumming the D, A, E chords was MUCH easier (and more consistent) than I was doing with the Taylor. The Martin is going to be a definite keeper!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Echo

Echo Runs with grenades

+614
    Martins are so light to, incredible!

17. Tracy Perry

+3,594
    That was another thing I did notice.. it seemed much lighter than the 114ce. Of course, the Taylor is a slightly larger guitar, but it shouldn't have made that much difference.

18. Echo

Echo Runs with grenades

+614
    I have a couple electrics to....various pedals and all, but I always find myself with one of my acoustics in my hands.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  19. Echo

Echo Runs with grenades

+614
    I have an Alvarez that's solid African mahogany, it's not that light but having all real bone nut, bridge and string push pins makes it sound awesome, one of my favs I have!

20. Tracy Perry

+3,594
    Wife just told me today I've got YAG (yet another guitar) coming in. She just ordered me a Martin 00-17SE (in whiskey sunset garb) after she heard a family friend and I talking about it and me wanting to eventually get one since it's targeted more at a "blues" style play.
    Of course, she also mentioned since it's a smaller guitar it would probably be easier for me to teach her to play on as I'm learning & practicing.
    I told her to be careful because GAS was seriously contagious. I think I should be set for acoustics for every occasion now - well, maybe a dread in the future sometimes, and a few electric guitars, and maybe a bass guitar... and.... hmm... some nice amps and speakers.... and ... :ROFLMAO:

Now I don't have an excuse to not learn... she's gonna make me justify the stuff if I don't!!!
    And unlike a putting on of the parent voice, the response "Because" doesn't float much weight.

It really is nice having a supportive wife though... but there WAS a cost. I had to get her some camera equipment since she's wanting to take up photography as a hobby.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.