Guidance Requested: XenForo to vB5

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by SquidCat, Jun 23, 2017.

1. SquidCat

SquidCat Aspirant

+4
    Hello everyone! I am thinking of making the switch over from XenForo to vB5. I recently got XenForo from a friend but then got vB5. I have the following questions:

1. Can I migrate all data over?

2. Is it possible to have the same theme I have on my XenForo to vB5? Or do I have to get a new one?

3. Is there anyway to migrate my plugins, too?

Thanks!!

2. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,735
    There is no supported means of converting from Xenforo to VB5. You might try and see how much it would cost for this company to convert you- http://gconverters.com/ - I've never used them but others have.

And no, the style is completely different, will need to be remade from scratch. Perhaps the site logo and background image (if used) can be reused but that would be it.

3. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,127
    The plugins you will need to check vbulletin.org if there is no similiar one you will need to ask a developer to make one. The data the plugins have you'll need to ask developers if that can be imported in the vbulletin plugin.

4. SquidCat

SquidCat Aspirant

+4
    Thanks for the site. Will check it out.

Thanks!!

5. Horizon

Horizon Participant

+67
    My old vb5 forum was fast, very fast and there were some easy to use features like mod tools and the ability to drag and drop modules onto a page, which is the easiest of any software and I miss it BUT it is buggy. I had problems with new posts showing and registrations and vb5 is simply unsupported by third party developers. No decent skins are also a hindrance.

VB5 is a unfinished product, in my opinion. It has, had, the potential to be great and beat them all, but it just doesn't cut the mustard. And from a admin point of view, their ACP was a nightmare to use. My new Woltlab ACP is a dream to use, in comparison.

6. insaneadmin

insaneadmin Enthusiast

+198
    SquidCat What do you feel vB5 will give you that XF doesn't?

7. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,735
    Besides blogs, articles, groups, calendar/events, and a site wide CMS system?

8. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,500
  9. we_are_borg

+2,127
    Why do you want to migrate to vBulletin?

10. insaneadmin

insaneadmin Enthusiast

+198
    Are you working with the OP on this? If not, then how do you know the reasons they want to do this? That's all I am asking.

Finding out why someone wants to move from one software to another is good to know.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Paranoid Paranoid x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  11. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,329
    Finally, someone asks the right question instead of suggesting platforms and knowing nothing about what the needs are of the OP.

12. insaneadmin

insaneadmin Enthusiast

+198
  13. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,458
    Short answer is this.... If your willing to spend a bunch of money on a custom coder or coders, then you can probably do it for the most part. Otherwise, no.

14. SquidCat

SquidCat Aspirant

+4
    I want the usebars and Username colors. I feel like it is also more cleaner.

Most fansites for my game has it and everyone says it great. I personally think vB is better than XF.

15. we_are_borg

+2,127
    The biggest problem is migrating to vb5 that is going to take time and most lickly money.

16. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,242
    It will certainly take money, there is no free importer for vB5 (in fact, I dont know of a paid one either).

17. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,458

18. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,500
    gConverter should be able to do it: http://gconverters.com/convert-xenforo-to-vbulletin-forum/ Their charges used to be quite reasonable, whether that's still the case I really don't know.

19. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Adherent

+127
    Kinda like what you see here at TAZ? Username Colours?

20. dynamite

dynamite Aspirant

+17
    There is nothing better about vBulletin 5 that you can't find in another software, that is run by a company which cares about its customers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.