Guest permissions question

Discussion in 'SMF' started by Jedi Knight Muse, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Jedi Knight Muse

Jedi Knight Muse Participant

+12
    Hi,

This is a dumb question 'cause I THINK there's a way to do this, but I haven't been able to figure it out. (I really hate SMF's permission system sometimes. Actually, a lot of the time.)

One of the things we're hoping to do on my forum is basically have guest friendly discussion topics in one of the forum sections where we'll invite guests to respond to those discussions without having to register (which will hopefully lead to people getting curious and deciding to register). But for some reason, the only way I can do this seems to be if I allow guests to start topics, when all I want to do is allow them to respond to posts within one specific forum and not be able to start topics.

Is there a way to make it so that I can allow guests to only respond to the topics within that one specific forum without giving them permission to post new topics all over the place as well?

2. H-DB

H-DB Enthusiast

+78
    Go to Board Permissions and make that board a "reply only" board. Then you start the topics and sit back and let whomever reply.

3. Jedi Knight Muse

+12
    I'm not sure that it really solve my issue, though. :unsure: I meant to say this, but I need for registered members to still be able to post topics of their own in that section, it's just guests that I need to not be able to start topics in that board.

4. H-DB

H-DB Enthusiast

+78
    Well, you can always move topics that members have started elsewhere into that board that is Reply Only.

5. br360

br360 Participant

+30
  6. Jedi Knight Muse

+12
    Ugh, I tried doing it that way and it's not working. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

7. Jedi Knight Muse

+12
    I think I did it but I can still post topics in other parts of the forum as a guest. :unsure:

8. br360

br360 Participant

+30
    What was the name of the new board permissions profile you created? That is the only profile you should allow guests to post replies in and you should set the board you want guests to post in for that special permissions profile. When you create a new profile, you have to set permissions for each member group for that profile.

Any board you don't want guests to post in should just be the default profile for those boards and you can set the guest permissions to not be able to post

9. br360

br360 Participant

+30
    Here is another way to explain it that may help-

Go to Admin>Permissions>Edit Profiles

Once there you will see a list of all of the profiles that came with your smf install (default, no polls, reply only, etc.) Below that you will see the "New Profile" section. Where you see Profile name, type in the name of the new profile you want to create ("guest posts" for example)

Then copy permissions from one of the other profiles, (I use default personally but that's up to you) then hit the create tab.

Once that is done, you can now go to the board you want to have special permissions. Admin>Forum>Boards>Modify Boards

Find the board you want to modify and click the modify link to the right of it. Scroll down until you see Permission Profile: and it should probably say default with a drop down list. Click the arrow to the right and you will also now see your new profile you created. Choose that and then scroll to the bottom and click the modify tab.

Now click on the permissions link to the board you just modified to use the new profile. You should now see a list of all your member groups. You are going to have to click on each group to change the permissions of that group for that one specific board. It will already have the default permissions that you copied over but now you can change the permissions to what you want that member group to have for the specific board.

The important ones to achieve what you are looking for are the "Post replies to topics, without requiring approval" or "Post replies to topics, but hide until approved" (if you want to approve guest posts first before they are shown publicly) make sure those are checked. Also make sure that "Post new topics, without requiring approval" and "Post new topics, but hide until approved" are not checked.

The rest of the permissions like polls, delete own topics, view attachments, etc. can be checked or unchecked as you decide.

You are going to have to do this for each member group (including guests), but that's basically it. You now have a new permission profile with specific permissions for that board

10. Jedi Knight Muse

+12
    I ended up having to ask someone who's a better SMF expert than me and has helped me with my forum in the past, because I got to one point in the steps you wrote out (thank you, by the way!) and it got confusing because it wasn't showing all of the permissions that it should have been for me to be checking/checking off. She went in and she fixed it for me. It's weird that she was able to fix it so easily and it was just a matter of unchecking something that I already had unchecked but it was still letting guests post topics...but at least it's fixed now.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.