Grow your site to 100k daily visitors?

Discussion in 'Increasing Traffic' started by Drastic, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+609
    Back in the day, maybe ten+ years ago, myself and some webmasters came up with a plan to get ourselves up to 100k daily visitors.

Back then it was all about "how can WE take this to the next level" - nowadays it's "how can I take this to the next level" and you look around and see the majority of new forums and blogs don't go anywhere.

People have sites that are several years old and still in the 1 million rank of Alexa or people complaining about how they hate their day job. How do you spend that much time on a project and it not go anywhere, and you don't stop to think what went wrong?

My observations, and I've only been on XF since 2014 (but have made websites since 1998ish), is that people NOW don't work together as much as people did back in the day.

The first rule is to change the way you think.

Start working TOGETHER and stop competing. Find ways to propel each other to higher levels. Challenge each other. Push each other to the next level, not hold each other down at the 1 million Alexa mark.

Here's the way to 100k daily visitors that worked for us back then. There's no reason it can't work now.

The people you once considered a competitor is now a friend.
    1. Find a group of people in the same niche as you. Typically forums can almost work with anyone. My site is based on news/entertainment/viral content. I can be creative to find ways to fit almost anything into those three categories.
    2. Figure out a schedule to mention each other on each other sites. Maybe you do exchanges daily, or once a week, or just whenever you both feel like it. It doesn't have to be super strict, but it should be reciprocal. You will promote each other like it's the best thing on Earth. All you have to do is link to a page of content that you like (or think your users will like). A simple "hey, here's a cool article/thread over at so and so's site - check it out" is all you need. Or you can put a simple link to their content in one of your articles, or feature a picture/video you saw and link them as the source. Plenty of ways to do this - just be creative and keep it balanced in terms of how much you promote each other.
    3. That's it.
    If one site is MUCH larger than another then perhaps the smaller site will plug the bigger site twice to make up the difference.

The key here is to try your best to keep it even.

If I send you 1000 visitors one week, then try to send me 1000 back. Does it have to be in one day? Nah, but you and the people you network with will work something out that's fair. Don't be a huge creep over the numbers; if they're relatively close, then that's good enough.

The key here is that you're working together, developing backlinks and increasing your audience. Back then we had trade scripts to automate the trades, but that's another lesson. They are more for banner/thumbnail trades and they manage everything. Pretty awesome, but not needed for this part of the project.

This is a slow process, but the end result is higher traffic, new users, and we let the users figure out where they want to be. Now that we have social media, we might also pick up some new members/surfers there too.

One way that might be beneficial for Xenforo users is the link directory addon by Au Lait. You could have that in your sidebar and let people submit links. Or you can do it the old school way and post things by hand.

Don't be a competitor of each other, be a friend.

Grow your sites together and everyone wins.

I'm in the news/viral/entertainment niche. I can fit just about ANYTHING into an article of mine.

My site is a blog, but that doesn't matter. Any site can work together.

If anyone wants to team up, then let's do it.

I need 100k a day and $300 income to quit my day job.

LET'S DO THIS!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Something Fishy! Something Fishy! x 1
    • List
  2. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+609
    Please enlighten me to what's fishy? Or is that just for fun? The fish is hilarious....

This is a good strategy for people to try and anyone can work together.

If working with other people isn't your style, that's fine, but if you're here to troll, then please be irrelevant somewhere else.

This thread promotes positive growth and encourages people to work together.

I'd like to keep it that way and hope it encourages people to organize their own growth groups.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  3. redeye

redeye Aspirant

+4
    It can work and I think I know what script and where it was used back that days :D anyway it may work but why would a forum that already has 100k visitors a day or even more be interested in a deal like this? I have seen 3 ultra high trafficated forums around that simply delete links to other forums and you get a warning that they don't allow any sort of linking to other forums?!

4. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+609
    If you're at 100k daily traffic, then you wouldn't be interested in this.

OR

You might be interested because you need to maintain your daily visitors.

The way we saw it was this - share the visitors, push each other as far as we can go, and let the surfers decide where they want to be. This pushed our traffic up, got people sharing our sites (our network), and our traffic was great. It actually helped out SEO too, because we had tons of comments and shares that it grew a lot of natural traffic.

If your site falls behind in this, then you figure out how to tweak your content and maximize your clicks to content/friends/ads.

It's more about working together and pushing each other to higher levels instead of considering everyone a competitor. If a person goes to my site, then leaves for yours, then what do I care? If they like your site better, then good for them. Let the user have a good experience. There's billions of surfers out there for us!

5. viper357

viper357 Enthusiast

+6
    I wouldn't mind quitting my day job, lol, but I'm not sure exactly what your aim is here, are you wanting to exchange links with other forums? My content may be completely irrelevant to your website, so not sure how we could benefit each other? I am very interested in increasing visitors and revenue though, who wouldn't be. :p

6. Johnny101

Johnny101 Participant

+51
    My ears are perked up too.

7. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,124
    Do you guys have any real understanding of how busy a site is with 100k visitors per day?

I have several very active big boards - and I don't get anywhere near that many visitors per day.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  8. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,443
    ^^^^ This. One of my past big boards supported 6 full time employees, and it didn't reach that level.

9. Joeychgo

+3,124
    Yeah, If I was pulling that kind of traffic in on one site, I would have a brand new Maserati in the drive in front of my Palm Beach, FL mansion after Vanilla Ice got done refurbing it.

10. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+609
    Has to be relevant because you want to give the user a good experience.

It's easy and only takes a few minutes per day/week to accomplish.

There's strength in relevant numbers.

If anyone is in the news/viral media niche, then PM me your site and we'll see what we can do.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  11. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Fan

+248
    I consider my Forum a semi-large now and I only got an average of 30K unique visitors per day :D.
    100K is huge :D

12. Joeychgo

+3,124
    yes, it is. Don't get me wrong, having lofty aspirations and goals isn't a bad thing...... but its not really realistic and a very hard goal to meet, which can discourage people.

13. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+609
    It's very realistic and it's very easy. I've done it with a group of about 20-30 others back in the day and we all did well once we locked down a solid group of partners.

Why don't you give it a try and check the results in 2 months? Find a group of people willing to do it and give it a shot. I bet you'll gain some new members and have higher traffic.

14. Joeychgo

+3,124
    Because there are very few other forums in my niche that I don't own. Of those I don't own, about half are owned by a network, the others are all quite small.

15. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+609
    Well....that's not something people usually run into! You're your own network! That's good.

Have you considered reaching out to blogs or sites in niches that are slightly different, but definitely of a little interest?

If you reached out to blogs in the same general field as your site, they could be a good source of new members. You could be a good source of new readers...

Nowhere to go but up!

16. Joeychgo

+3,124
    What your talking about isn't new -- back in the day it was called a "ring"

17. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,443
    Google has gotten much better at spotting promotion rings, it doesn't take too much to connect the IP address dots.

18. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+609
    Google currently ranks some of the biggest sites who have done this exact method for years.

Passing visitors to relevant content is allowed. Google does not penalize for that unless it's considered one of those PBN's that aren't ever updated. You know, that guy down the street who built 20 blogs himself and sells crap links, hasn't updated in five years?? That's not what we're doing.

If you're linking a boxing fan to a site selling boxes of fans - then of course that doesn't work and both Google and the user think you're an idiot.

But send a fisherman to another fish/boat/rod/tide/fishing supplies/etc anything related to fishing site and that's perfect.

I believe Google will boost your rank based on relevancy and user experience. Frequently updated sites sharing relevant content - what's wrong with that? Absolutely nothing. It's what Google prefers.

This is a lot different than old school Bravenet webrings and those lousy PBNs people made.

Bravenet also had that guestbook, remember that? Then there was Tripod, Geocities...etc.

19. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,443
    I see merit in it but not for the same reason as days gone past. It used to be the primary reason was "link juice" - but I think the draw these days is more about user experience, and additional traffic sources outside of Google. And it needs to be with quality, since Google has gotten much better at determining quality, verses just slopping out content with a link or two recommending a site. Non-quality will get caught up in Google's link ring algorithms.

I think TAZ and other admin (non-forum) sites would be the best sources for finding like minded individuals, because it's a place where smaller networks and independent forum admins are. Reaching out here to find sites which may not be in the same niche, but with niches which could conceivably recommend my site and visa versa. Because I'm sure many of you have the same issue I have... the big players have bought up many of the sites I'd normally reach out to.

There needs to be a way to note what niches we have, and who is helping whom.

20. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+609
    Quality is king these days. People in the same niche teaming up is a good thing. Dominate the market together. Plenty of viewers to go around.

You wouldn't want to keep track of what other people are doing if you're not working with them. For example, what Sally and Bob with the bowling sites do has no impact on what someone and a Pokemon site does...of course, you could be really creative and find a way to make it relative. That's all up to the people who team up.

Sites like TAZ are the perfect place for people to meet and work together. I see it a LOT on blog and other site communities. Not so much with forums.

No offense meant, but I feel like a lot of forum owners shy away from sharing their site at times. Why? No clue. Almost every site and forum you can think of has been done plenty of times over. Not only that, but I think it entirely hinders growth of people's projects AND sites like this in general. If your site is top notch, then you know people will be back. If they don't come back, then you need to step up your game - and that's a GOOD thing. It pushes you to be better.

If anyone here has been to a local small business meetup, where people network and exchange business cards - look what they do. They refer people to each other for different services. In our case, we'd usually refer them for similar things (niches). Slight difference, but not that far off. Still sending possible fans to a friend and getting some back from them.

Those people grow their businesses together.

It's almost the same concept as that.

Let's take the gaming niche for example. Look how many small gaming forums start and fail in a month or so. Why? Because they all think they're the next best thing, don't network with anyone, then realize they're not an overnight success and quit.

What if a group of gaming webmaster teamed up and coordinated something where they'd mention cool articles that each of them have? Or maybe one site is big on videos, another site likes to do reviews, one site is Xbox/PC/PS, etc...there's so much MORE people can do when they're open minded, creative, and put things together. Sure, a site that opened yesterday won't team up with a site who has 7 million posts and expect it to work out entirely. It can, just requires a little bit of math to keep things fair.

The SandmanThe Sandman - Can we add a node in the traffic section for people to network/team up? This would be more detailed and specific to traffic generation. The coop node gathers people looking for "working" tasks and random things. This would be specifically for people looking to network and work together.

Maybe that would spark some interest and get people teamed up. Where they take it from there, that's up to them!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted