Got Me A Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fixer, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,594
    Until you can keep an eye on the speed (it only takes a glance) I'd suggest staying off the major roads then.
    THAT is probably what your so-called "harassment" is from... the fact that you are speeding when they see you - maybe not quite to the point that they will stop you, but that does have a tendency to draw attention to yourself, especially if you continue when you know that they are there.

2. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,166
    that may be some of the attention but most of it is the fact that it appears im riding a dirt bike down main street

3. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,166
    ordered a brand new cb500x today

4C25C593-5F18-4419-9645-FC55EFF58C16.jpeg

4. Tracy Perry

+3,594
    It ain't squat until it's in liter bike territory! ;)

The little CB500X is not a bad bike. I just like something with a little more leg under it for distance riding.
    If I was going to get back into riding (still have my FJR1300) with a new bike, I'd be looking hard at the CTX1300.
    If I was really getting back into my LD riding, the Goldwing F6B would be a serious contender.

5. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,237
    Not sure if/how serious (smiley and all), but I disagree.

You're right for distance, but everything can be incredible fun on smaller bikes. The light weight makes them awesome fun to whip around. Having said all that, I'd only take one as a second bike ;)

The cb500x should be a really fun ride fixer... Making me want to shop for another :p

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  6. H-DB

H-DB Enthusiast

+88
    Congratulations fixer

May you have many miles and smiles!

• List
  7. Tracy Perry

+3,594
    Unless doing an IB run. The buzziness of 800cc and smaller gets rather annoying at highway speed. Even the FJR1300 does when it's around 70MPH (but that's the nature of the beast with it). I've found around 65MPH or 75MPH to be more comfortable.
    Their fine for a town bike, but for any kind of "serious" road riding I prefer a little more beef under my ass.

8. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,166
    My goal is an African Twin , Im not ready for that. Most crashes occur between 2,000 and 5,000 miles , Because of driver confidence. I can feel it i have 1900 miles on the CRF250L and i run 100% WOT everywhere i go and im taking corners at 60 i was taking at 40. I have skided a couple time and keep going faster and faster. To try to help me not become a statistic i went to a 2 day motorcycle beginner skills school last weekend. I was pulling wheelies on the little TW's and having a blast with one of the instructors (he said he loved to watch me ride) meanwhile the other instructor told me one more wheelie and he was throwing me out. When it was said and done I scored 0 deductions and 4 of the 10 people completely failed.

My confidence is at an all time high and i know I'm going to exceed my driving ability soon. The 500 should be a better bike for me all the way around, a good friend of mine is married to the daughter of the guy who owns the shop, he went in to her office when they were making me an offer , he got me top dollar for the crf250L as a trade in and got me a left over 2017 brand new (had to order it from honda) for $5500 so the swap was almost even up and gives me a new challenge ;)

9. Tracy Perry

+3,594
    Not going to do a bit of good if you keep riding like what you say you do. Honestly you are simply an accident waiting on a place to happen.
    Going to a 2 day beginners school (which I might add is required to get your license here in Texas) won't teach you squat other than bare bone basics. You want to learn how to ride like that? Get the appropriate bike and then go tear the tracks up. Be sure you have your leathers on and plenty of spare parts - because both will come in handy. Don't do it on the street where the people that work for a living have to scrape your body parts off the pavement or hose down the tree from where you planted yourself.

10. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,166
    brought it home today

C2D68818-E230-4745-81C2-6F4F3AB88923.jpeg D7FD1C4E-C99D-42CF-B2AE-68FB8E79CD37.jpeg

11. Shimei

Shimei Fan

+289
    Just took my last ride on my Yamaha 2015 Yamaha Vmax. Just put the bike on consignment at Yamaha Motorsports of Olympia Washington (360) 438-2997

This bike has a fat tire, lowered two inches, power commander, K&N filter, Airbox mod, quick shifter, kill switch, Vance and Hines exhaust, Corbin seat and tons of Carbon Fiber. Call the dealer for the asking price. The bike can be delivered to you. The bike has approximately 2500 miles on it. The bike is being stored in the back until the title comes in. Bike was just payed off.

This bike is extremely powerful producing enough horsepower to shred the rear fat tire for a couple of city blocks. Estimated horsepower is in excess of 225hp. With a reflashed ECU to disable the stock governor which limits the top end speed for the sake of Insurance companies it can run low 9s in the 1/4 mile at 150+mph.

If you don't know about the Yamaha Vmax it was created for bragging rights by Yamaha. It is in a class of its own being the Hot Rod quarter mile king.

2015 Yamaha Vmax.jpg

Here are the kinds of official or advertisements Yamaha produces for the Vmax:

12. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,237
  13. Brad

Brad Meh

+1,267
    Everyone falls eventually so don't try to beat yourself up too badly when it does happen. I've been riding all my life although mostly on four wheels but I know my way around two pretty well. I managed to bend the rear axle of a 250 Mojave like a bendy straw doing 40-50mph in a corner. Met a pine tree because I took the corner too wide without time to correct. Bent the footpeg into the rear wheel and threw me off when it spun around. My head bounced off the ground four times that I can remember. Still don't know how I managed to walk away from that one.

Fixed it and within a year I managed to do something similar on another trail on our farm. Whacked my head against a tree that time on my way towards the ground. Got back up on the horse a few days later and had to back out of the gas when I shifted into fourth gear because my vision blacked over. Slurred my speech for a good 3 months after that one. Cracked my skull open and had fluid under my scalp for a few days. Didn't go the the hospital like an idiot and the doctor I saw a week later (after telling my parents about it) was surprised I was alive. Recovered from it and got back on the horse again. Wrecked a third time and manage to put my ATV about 8 feet up in a tree (took a corner too fast on a large hill, forgot where I was on the trail and was in a hurry). My Dad still tells stories about that one. He had to help me get it out of the tree and do the repairs.

All those combined led to some major medical problems. It's almost 20 years later and I still have problems like:
    -Being unable to sleep without massive doses of xanax/alcohol/similar drugs. I no longer take them so I'm often up for 3 days at a time
    -My back is pretty thrashed from all those years of it being used to absorb the punishment. Same thing goes for my knees
    -Eyesight never recovered from the second concussion and I'm basically blind at night, often see spots/black dots that aren't there. It's like being on LSD 24/7
    -My right thumb is nearly twice the size of the left one because I used thumb throttles so much during my childhood

There are more but I'll spare you the details. I still love riding though. I really like that dual-sport you got. I'm thinking about buying one but I'm torn between the Honda you have and a Suzuki DR. I have a DR125 at the moment but it isn't running and I know it isn't going to work for what I want a bike for. It's fine for putting around the farm but I'd never want to take it onto the road.

Anyway stay safe out there. My Dad taught me and he and I are pretty even skill wise. He did motocross for several years and is one of the best I've ever seen outside of the big time pros. I figure if I'm as good/little better than him there wasn't much more skill to acquire. At some point going through turns and obstacles faster than your current pace becomes less about finding more speed and more about not using good judgement. I know I can out ride all of my peers and would never go 100% around them just to keep them safe. I was always worried they'd hurt themselves attempting to keep up with us. I really wish we had GoPros back in the 90s man I would have been able to retire at age 14 off youtube money alone.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  14. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,166
    5ED43756-C1D2-47BD-8121-1E608B70C8E8.jpeg

15. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,237
  16. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,166
    Got a new bike! 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900

8EA9A28A-DD14-4F44-B147-FBE22CB5A7B3.jpeg
    B38F834A-D01F-4161-8C10-11485CF8BC55.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,476
    • Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  18. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,166
    got new helmets today

E2832BDB-0849-425B-A493-FCF5078213A4.jpeg C1090985-AECA-43E2-A496-08046A0EE71B.jpeg

19. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,237
    Did a "Tail of the Dragon" / Deals Gap / "Devils Triangle" trip recently with 11 other guys (12 total).
    This is an area attracting motorcycles & cars nationally (& world-wide) with multiple professional photography companies posted along certain routes.

fixer - you need to go when your confidence & skill are there.
    2 of our guys (experienced) wrecked on the Tail & trailered their bikes home (no injuries). Saw 4 other moto wrecks in the 2 days we rode that area.
    These roads will give you everything you can handle and far more.

Did 1400ish miles in 4 days. ~600 of those were very high intensity, high focus cornering miles. Very physically exhausting. The hardest I've pushed this bike since I've had it by far. She handled it perfectly.

Anyone else been? Have pics?
    H-DB Tracy Perry Shimei

2682476.jpg
    '12330986-129Slayer.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  20. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,166
    Cool, where this at?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.