Got a real site sponsor today... gave the $$$ to the staff

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by fixer, Aug 27, 2019.

1. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,063
    Finally!....it took long enough for my main site to get a real sponsor, (i have another board with multiple sponsors)

My main site isn't easily sponsorable :)

Anyway i gave the money to the staff, seemed like the right thing to do

2. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,449
    I knew it! You're really just a marshmallow in a crispy shell, aren't you?

Seriously though, that's a really good thing for you to have done. In all my time dealing with forums, I've never seen someone do that :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  3. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+112
    Sweet to share among the staff!

4. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+968
    Look at fixer here, handing out fat forum stacks to his mods!

[​IMG]

Now you've got The Sandman sweatin', hoping his mods don't get any ideas

[​IMG]

5. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,063
    Gain the confidence of the staff and make them feel appreciated and they will gladly follow your lead.

A lot of forum staff members put in more work than the owners without as much as a thank you

i think google adsense revenue sharing with staff is a win win for site owners

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • List
  6. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,236
    Paying them money is risk legally because you're creating an employer/employee or contractor relationship, whether intentional or not. Their actions can then potentially leave you liable.

I've always limited it to gifts during the holiday season and swag like t-shirts and mugs. I have paid admins in the past, but it was a written legal agreement and they were paid as a contractor every month, a fixed amount. And that was only on mega busy (thousands of posts per day) boards where admin'ing could take a big chunk of time.

7. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,191
    Even though we haven't ran into any issues yet our group of volunteers on our moderators team has made it a point of requesting that under no circumstances should they be called "staff" or referred to as a "staff member". When I inquired why they pointed me in the direction of a lawsuit where a "staff member" ended up causing a site to be held liable for what that person posted as opinion.

It was easy enough to go through XF's phrases and get rid of the word "staff" so now it's just matter of remembering to refer them as "volunteers" and our "volunteer moderating team" instead. With a lot of links being posted to products with a lot of opinions being posted it's a better-safe-than-sorry measure.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...efamation-suit-against-bleepingcomputer.shtml

8. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,160
    You've already shown more benevolence than many thriving fat cats used to plead poverty from the top of their thrones :eking:

I'm averse to the idea of spreading monies around directly, but what really counts is that whatever way you showed appreciation that came from your own initiative, and was especially unnecessary. Staff are more collaborators than underlings anddeserve the positive affirmation from these occasional moves.

9. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,063
    I gave each of my staff members $10,000 when i sold DB , under the table i paid all the taxes ($32,000 just in taxes)

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • List
  10. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,063
    i sold out before facebook steamrolled “popular nitche” communities

11. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,063
    and btw you know what they did after i sent them all the $... they permabanned me

12. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,330
    You know the saying... no good deed goes unpunished :(

13. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,063
    they said it was for my own good so i would move on

14. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,160
    That's almost too generous... Between the car and this, I find it difficult to believe sponsors werent fighting for your favour.

15. pierce

pierce Habitué

+708
    When you go over a certain amount it gets messy gota cut company money from personal because the tax man ain't yo friend.

But it's good to reward people. Even if it is something small. Amazon gift cards etc.

16. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,063
    it wast all sponsors its google ads and membership upgrades

17. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,236
    Not very wise to admit to tax fraud on an open forum.

18. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,063
    what are you talking about? its not fraud i paid the taxes on all the money including their shares. i gifted them money. i hired an accountant and was also audited that year and everything was square

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  19. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,236
    We both know what under the table means. Why'd you say it you didn't mean it?

20. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,063
    only ment i didn't stick them with the taxes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.