Google will now index mobile before desktop!!

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by BrandonSheley, Mar 26, 2018.

1. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+948
    You really should stop ignoring your site on mobile. ;)
    A blurb from the official google webmaster blog, go check it out.
    https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2018/03/rolling-out-mobile-first-indexing.html

• Informative! Informative! x 6
    • List
  2. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+249
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  3. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+111
    I went to a website other day and had a message "This website best viewed on your mobile device."

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  4. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+249
    Ugh. Blimey. o_O

5. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,154
    I wonder wether that will not be detrimental to forums. Forum software generally targets desktop for their full experience, with mobile-friendliness only a welcome bonus.

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 2
    • List
  6. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,178
    Historically they do, but the mobile experience has been improving. As a user (and admin) constantly on the go, I'm thankful for that.

There's no reason the "full" experience can't be had on mobile, we just aren't there yet.

7. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,322
    Also wondering the same thing.
    Makes you wonder if the myriad of forum script developers will prioritize mobile-friendliness as an out-of-box user experience. It seems more important now than any other time ever that forum scripts are automatically responsive. It sorta pushes the concept of mobile compatibility to the level/responsibility of developer as opposed to being relegated to designers/themers...

J.

8. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,154
    It will always be a downgraded conversion of the desktop version.
    Mobile-first means targetting small displays and that entails significant sacrifices to keep sites navigable, readable and lightweight. Visitors are also a lot less likely to browse multiple sites at the same time (unlike on desktop, where they dont have to worry yet about AMP pages loading loading in a webview instance).

9. Matthew S

Matthew S Adherent

+188
    With all the resources Google have, you'd think they could work out how to do a simple

Code:
    if mobile:
       mobile results
    else:
       desktop results

The way they make it sound, even desktop users are going to receive results of sites prioritised for mobile.

10. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,274
    I belong to a generation that probably won't use a smart phone for viewing websites if a larger view port option is available and for me the larger the better. There's more than one reason for it, it's what I'm familiar with, I was there at the start as both a developer and user. Changing a near life time of habit it hard. Diminishing eyesight is also a factor.

Having said that I think Google have it right, the majority of users now connect via smart phones and forums will have to adapt to that or slowly die away.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+111
    I inherited 2 computers due to family or friends getting rid of them in favour of the phone.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,274
    Something I do firmly beleive is that the days of the big box computer are numbered. I'm conviced that in less than 10 years a smart phone/device will be the only device anyone will need. However for that to happen they will have to be able to easily interface with periferal devices i.e. keyboard, mouse and screen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+111
    It's like the home stereo. I still prefer that, but have a few saying "why you need that? I can do it all on my phone."

Except when the internet goes out...

14. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,274
    I do still use an old fashion analogue amplifier and speakers to play music. But I also use an app on my phone to remote control what music I want to hear :eek::D

15. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+462
    That's exactly what "mobile first indexing" means.

Until now, Google has indexed desktop versions first but given a boost to sites that were responsive or had a separate mobile version. They also indexed your mobile versions but the desktop version was given priority.

Going forward, they will do it the other way 'round: If you have both a mobile version and a desktop version, they will index the mobile version first but they will also index your desktop version. Note that "mobile version" also includes AMP versions of pages.

If you use a responsive design, it won't make a huge difference because there is only one version that adapts to screen size.

See:

https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2018/03/rolling-out-mobile-first-indexing.html

https://moz.com/blog/mobile-first-indexing-seo

https://searchengineland.com/faq-google-mobile-first-index-262751

https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/26/google-begins-to-roll-out-its-mobile-first-index/

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,178
    I disagree.

The only reason the mobile versions are "downgraded" now is because things have been built and consumed on large screens from the start. But it doesn't have to be.

This is changing. It's on developers and users providing meaningful feedback to get mobile to the place where it's not "downgraded".

Different, yes, but not downgraded. At least not as a rule.

17. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,274
    Personally I find desktop computing central to my way of life. Waking up to a dead computer feels like a bereavement. The thought of having to access the Internet from only a smart phone fills me with dread. However I also have to appreciate the majority of people would feel exactly the same way if they were forced to swap their phone for a desktop.

To compare the mobile and desktop experience is becoming a futile exercise because mobile browsing has all but won the day. Forums have to put mobile browsing first or they won't survive.

18. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+249
    My sentiments exactly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+111
    Ditto. Lucky I have more then one computer (including one I "inherited" as mentioned above) so I could hop on the other one if the first one implodes. I do have a phone, but I used it for it's original purpose --- make calls! :D

20. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,274
    Taking things one step further, perhaps the time has come for forum developers to build their products primarily for mobile viewing with the desktop left as an afterthought. That after all was the thinking in reverse while the desktop reigned supreme. What a horrible thought! :eek::p

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.