Google - Latest word on dynamic vs. static URLs

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by djbaxter, Sep 23, 2008.

1. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+463
    Dynamic URLs vs. static URLs
    Written by Juliane Stiller and Kaspar Szymanski,
    Google Search Quality Team
    Monday, September 22, 2008

2. motokochan

motokochan Habitué

+20
    Nice for them to finally clarify the mess around re-writing URLs and pointing out a lot of the problems that others have mentioned for some time. Hopefully those "experts" will actually listen, although judging by the comments, it looks more like they are prepared to argue.

BTW, I also posted this on the official SMF community forums. Hope you don't mind me using the red highlights you added.

3. djbaxter

+463
    Not at all. Like you, this Google post says a lot of what I've been trying to say for about three years now.

4. Secure

Secure Adherent

+1
    That is a very good article. Thanks for sharing it Minstrel. I found a link to it in another topic.

5. alemcherry

alemcherry Enthusiast

+1
    Very valid and relevant points. Should be an eye opener to a number of newbie SEO "experts" who would do anythign to create a /Id_this_is_the_title_of_the_story_and_more.htm kind of URLs. Filling keywords in such static looking URLs should only help invite penalties. Google knows the URLs a lot better than many people believe.

6. Docpixel

Docpixel Habitué

+26
    I learn something here every day! :tiphat:

7. Cadet

Cadet Hitler loved his banjo

+5
    Question-does this make things like "pretty url" worthless to SEO?

8. motokochan

motokochan Habitué

+20
    Well, it's been that way for some time, just Google is finally stating what a lot of us have been saying, and giving authority to what we have been saying all along.

Also, it's not entirely worthless as you get some help when the URL is used as the link text, but it certainly shows that it is not something to concentrate on. In fact, according to the article, it has the potential to cause problems with the indexing.

9. izumou

izumou Neophyte

+0
    I think this article is clear.forum admins should forget about rewriting their urls,There are always problem doing it and it does more harm than good.Thanks to gogle for resulving this hot arguments by webmasters.

10. sirhcrettop

sirhcrettop Participant

+0
    oh yeah some sites are not good. i posted some links with static urls! and specially sites with nofollow..

11. terrymason

terrymason Enthusiast

+19
    I'm a little late to this thread, but this is huge news!

Does this mean that VBSEO isn't worth the money?

12. djbaxter

+463
    In my opinion, it never was worth the money. This is simply confirmation of what I and many others have been saying for a good couple of years now.

Your mileage may vary, of course. I'm just (re-)stating my opinion.

13. 4U2NV

4U2NV Aspirant

+0
    Very informative indeed.. I learn something from this thread..

14. phreakwars

phreakwars Wakka Wakka Wakka

+13
    What I'm wondering is this... I changed to static urls on my phpbb3 forum a few months back and I was thinking of uninstalling the MOD. It causes too many board problems for the effort. Mainly pagination issues. Will I now have to worry about what has already been indexed in the spiders that is static, and how will that affect my page rank. I am assuming what google will have is older outdated static urls that will lead to nowhere since they will no longer exist as static.

15. djbaxter

+463
    Yes. However, your main index page isn't going to change (and the PageRank for that page won't change), and Google will respider your links and replace the old ones with the new correct ones within a few months, perhaps faster.

To an extent, this is the same problem faced by people converting to different forum software, e.g., from phpBB or SMF to vBulletin.

Your best bet is to create a custom 404 page letting people know that the site has been restructured and the link followed is outdated - I would suggest that you put a link to your main index page as well as a custom search box on that page if you can.

16. phreakwars

+13
    Piece of cake, will do, thanks.

Edit: something like this perhaps?

http://suckagelite.byethost32.com/viewforum.php?f=6876 (custom 404 on my test domain)

All I'd need to do is edit the language file to say the topic name may have been changed instead of saying the topic doesn't exist.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  17. djbaxter

+463
    Yes, exactly.

18. phreakwars

+13
  19. jimmywhite

jimmywhite Aspirant

+0
    Thanks for this, i didn't know about it.

20. hari

hari Tazmanian

+46
    What about the simple fact that dynamic URLs just look goddamn ugly and give the end user no clue about what page they are seeing and sometimes even cause problems with certain non-standard characters?

In the process of pandering to google, let us remember to serve our primary audience: human beings, a.k.a homo-sapiens. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.