Google Announced Date Pack-Up of Google+ in April 2019

Discussion in 'Social Networking' started by johnmart, Dec 11, 2018.

1. johnmart

johnmart Aspirant

+4
    Today, Google clear date of April 2019 Google+ closed to maintenance and service purpose at least 5 to 6 months.

2. martin smith

martin smith Participant

+5
    Thanks for the information...

3. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+218
    I had to LOL because I tried the login with Google+ option on my forum only to find it didn't work, and can't have done for quite a while - no-one noticed!

4. Dan18

Dan18 Fan

+261
    Still works fine for me.

5. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+218
    I changed URL and forgot to update it all - was just making the point that nobody actually noticed it wasn't working.

6. Craigles700

Craigles700 Enthusiast

+70
    My take away is that Google+ is done, and so is the api

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  7. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,203
    Yep Google+ is being shut down completely including the API.

All data associated with it is being deleted. I got an email about it today.

8. southernlady

southernlady Coder/Designer

+189
    I got the same email but for the life of me, I don’t remember using it.

9. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+247
    i got the email as well, went and downloaded all the content I had in google + cause they told me too, all 1MB of data and one profile pic which I used once for something like 6 years ago... in fact I never used google plus and dont even know what it was for anymore.. lol

thanks google.

10. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+21
    I ran into discussions on this topic a number of times at Google and I seem to recall there was some concession to that shutdown date when a number of folks complained over there. But I don't remember the specifics as I type this.

What I would love to get my hands on is the data on what it cost Google to run that program and why the financial professionals in the company felt that shutting it down was good for the health of the company.

11. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,030
    As soon as the profit is minimal and no hope to increase it, there is no incentive to run that program.

12. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+21
    Yes, they obviously know what they are doing and have some sharp money minds tending that side of the business, but I would like to see the actual numbers. What percentage of drop triggers the closing down of what was originally set up as a really big deal.

In fact, as I type this it enters my brain that maybe Google has had earlier failures of some sort of product like Google+, yes? My memory is a tad foggy on that subject, but something is nagging me that they have had similar troubles in the past. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, purely for a sort of research thing I'd like to see those numbers. Wouldn't mind seeing the minutes of the meetings on the subject. Or recordings, if that is how they deal with the record, instead of keeping minutes.

13. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,190
    I don't believe it was because Google couldn't compete with Facebook. Facebook had already begun their decline at the start of Google+. I think Sandman and someone else, a big boards owner, said it best roughly 8 years ago. Forums are on a decline because people don't want to spend time chit-chatting and would prefer to get their information as quickly as possible.

They say you gain patience as you get older. This is true, and I'm also turning a year older this weekend (I'll be accepting aged tequila and single malt scotch or Irish whiskey as gifts). However, suffice to say that even I'm tired of wading through threads or search results for an answer when I can site check a site like Reddit and likely find the answer I'm looking for, the iFixIt forums, StackExchange which doesn't allow BS crap to be posted, etc.

I think current society is going to be interesting in the decades to come. When we become codgers, we'll probably be using the same tech as our grandchildren or great-grandchildren will be at the time.

14. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,030
    They are still in a good shape:

15. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,014
    Google bailing on Google+, seems like many are not making a big deal of this but this has HUGE implications.

16. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,203
    Such as ?

17. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,190
    I'd argue it's an older demographic who simply doesn't care about the data being extracted from them. More and more older people are joining Facebook to find long lost friends and acquaintances, and to stay in touch with family and friends. The bigger moneymaker for companies advertising are usually younger people, even if they may not have as much disposable income as older people. Though they're more likely to make purchases without consolidating all facts.

Not as much junk email, Paul. Yeesh, get with the times, man! You mean to tell me you don't enjoy going over the 10 emails Google sends out whinging for you to come back to a platform you have no recollection of ever using? :eek:

18. southernlady

southernlady Coder/Designer

+189
    Not Paul,obviously, but I don’t get emails like that.

19. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,217
    Its too bad Google dropped Google Wave years ago, that concept showed so much promise for a social networking platform. :( Google+, blah.

20. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,203
    This is the one and only only e-mail I got about it, and I most certainly do recall using it (while I worked for IB).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.