Google Alert: Email notification when someone links to your site

M1th

Mithrandir The White
cbp said:
The tool is next to useless. It only notifies you when a new link is added to the small sample of backlinks that Google chooses to show for a site. - it does NOT notify when a new site links to you.

Actually, it did for me in a couple of cases.

Clasione

Adherent
Yes - excellent tool....

It's also great for letting you know when Google changes the serps as some of your rankings move into the top ten...

I currently use it for

1 My Name
2 My Company Name
3 My Favorite Stock

PacMan

Tazmanian
cbp said:
That only shows you when a new site is added to the backlinks sample that Google show for a site, NOT when a new site links to you.
Please post the details if you belive otherwise.
You are correct, I should have read the post thoroughly before replying.

M1th

Mithrandir The White
PacMan said:
You are correct, I should have read the post thoroughly before replying.
ditto PacMan

jason2

Aspirant
I agree, a very old thread indeed. I would say that this tool is not that good for tracking your own backlinks, but is only any good for competition and then it's not the best way to see your competition backlinks.

djbaxter

Tazmanian Veteran
It may be an old thread but I still find the Alerts useful for telling me when Google recognizes a new link. Whether it gets them all isn't critical in my opinion. It still alerts me about some incoming links I didn't know existed.

I also use the query site:www.yourdomain.com with Google Alerts which notifies you when Google indexes new pages on your site.

Yogahoneybunny

Enthusiast
Forget the link: site tool. Think about the more general use of alerts. It's great for tracking any news about your competition, not necessarily links. And don't forget your keywords ... nice to know what is being indexed. Both of these work great for me, once weekly.

Last edited:

Tearabite

Aspirant
I've been using Google Alerts for a long time.. I have alerts setup for my domain(s) URLS, my name, my website name(s), etc..
As a matter of fact, it was from a GoogleAlert that I got today that i learned about this forum when someone linked to my blog in a new thread..