Google Adsense Malware

Discussion in 'Site Security & Legal Issues' started by Sulley007, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Sulley007

Sulley007 Neophyte

+0
    I recently was getting a daily notice where users were randomly getting malware warnings popping up on their browser when on my site. I shut off all Google Adsense and this immediately stopped. I've summized that a javascript with Malware was being delivered through my google adsense.

I'd like to resume this for obvious reason. If there is any advice on how to prevent this from happening in the future it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Shibs

Shibs Aspirant

+2
    Notices from where/what?

3. Adam H

Adam H Think before you speak.

+2,087
    You need to find which ad is causing the malware popups , it wouldnt be the first time its happened and you can report the site to google and they will remove all ads.

4. Sulley007

Sulley007 Neophyte

+0
    The users on the site were reporting to me that their antivirus and malware software was going crazy. I wasn't able to identify the specific ad that was delivering it as there are hundreds of ads delivered on the site. Only PC and IE users were impacted and it was random as not all users. As soon as I pulled the Google adsense the users who reported the issues have confirmed that they have not had any warnings since.

I'm trying to see how I can best manage that going forward as I need to reinstate my adsense.

5. carfreak

carfreak Adherent

+2
    I was too having a similar problem. Just the difference was that, the suspected cause was malicious Analytics Code. As soon as I removed, the entire problem was solved. Google must look into this as soon as possible.

6. Sulley007

Sulley007 Neophyte

+0
    I've reported this to them and posted in their help forums but they have been non responsive. It is definitely being delivered through Adsense and I suspect their 'trusted 3rd party' network. I've changed this setting to block all 3rd party and I'm going with only link ads to reinstate adsense and see what happens.

7. Shibs

Shibs Aspirant

+2
    Are you using a plugin for the ads or are you hard coding them in?

8. theripetomato

theripetomato Participant

+1
    I was going to ask that as well. I was hoping to use some Adsense to get the ball rolling on my site, but now I'm scared.

9. Sulley007

Sulley007 Neophyte

+0
    I'm using vbadvanced as well as just putting in hard code. It was 100% malvertising being delivered through Google's adsense. One thing I can share is that when I use text only ads it wasn't happening but as soon as I went to image ads it would immediately start to trigger anti virus for some users. If you are just starting out I would recommend not selecting the 'trusted 3rd party' network and I would approve all ads.

10. Cre8tin

Cre8tin Aspirant

+0
    This is not that simple.

The webmaster usually does not see malicious content and it is not reproducible even to the same user the same malicious content twice, the outcoming sources URLs are always changing

Anyway, the term for this is malvertising. This might help to find and read about it a lot of interesting things

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted