Good Open Source Traditional Forums Software in 2019?

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by Apparition, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Apparition

Apparition Aspirant

+11
    I'm personally okie with that, as I can't personally stand nor use social media. If I can't stand the looks of non-traditional forums like Discourse or Flarum to the point that I actively avoid them, why would I admin one?

Xenforo, IPS, and WoltLab Suite Forum are traditional forums and look and work fine on mobile devices.

2. Musika

Musika Aspirant

+8
    Are you sure? IPS is called Invison "Community" an there is the WoltLab "Suite". I think XF is here more traditional, depending what's the definition of traditional. But is XF more traditional than Discourse or Flarum? Why?

3. radu81

radu81 Fan

+191
    The title says "open source"..

4. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,145
    Wotlab's framework is actually opensource and usable without the extra proprietary apps that are visible source. Naturally not a complete experience but handy to develop addons and your own inhouse portals.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  5. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+115
    According to my sources, 2020 should have some interesting things happening there lol

And probably only MyBB tbh imo, it's the one I can customise far more easily than anything else.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  6. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+33
    Flarum, Fluxbb, SMF for me. I like how they are developing these software. In terms of design and also in terms of feature set they are not bad.

7. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+231
    I just dont like how flarum looks though, for some reason I find the navigation confusion. SMF would have to be the best traditional forum out of those 3 I guess.

8. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+33
    I think it can be customized. The default theme looks similar to the discourse. SMF is good but I think people prefer quick loading sites for them SMF may be like dinosaurus if we compare flarum and discourse.

9. MagicalAzareal

+115
    That is nice to know, thanks for the little tidbit, Aizen.

One area in which traditional software shine, I believe, is that they can work without JavaScript. Discourse white screens and I haven't heard good things about Flarum either. This can be good if a browser plugin messes things up, e.g. Adblock or Grammarly

It is usually fine to assume that JavaScript will work perfectly fine though.

10. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,252
    'Page created in 0.075 seconds with 14 queries.'

In my experience you won't find another forum platform that comes anywhere near SMF when it comes to speed. The figures above come from one of my million+ post SMF based forums running on a shared host. SMF may be antiquated when it comes to development but slow it is not.

11. macfanpl

macfanpl Participant

+8
    Will take me 10. seconds to prove you wrong. Make a bet?

12. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+231
    I think they are taking the proverbial here surely..

13. macfanpl

macfanpl Participant

+8
    OK so to prove my point I bought separate server (HPE Proliant), installed Ubuntu Server, LAMP, was trying various board systems (socalled free, really free and paid). All of them installed normally without any problems; but no phpbb (**** you developers).

Now, this ios best part:: Reported problem within their super-horny Area51, what was their response? That everything works for them. Oh yea? Even after receiving link to my installer and being unable to install their own software they keep refusing to aknowledge sth is wrong on their end.

=========

Now regarding security:: On running install, try to coject JS in the address bar. It will get execcuted.

Want more examples?

==========

Answering question @OP posed:: there is no good forum software in 2019 thats FOSS. There are many excellent forum software(s) that you have to pay for......

14. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+33
    That looks quick. But you compared this with discourse?

15. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,252
    We've looked extensively at discourse because it's infinite scrolling provides a better fit for that particular forum. Speed wise we probably blow it out of the water on first view because Discourse is a JavaScript app which has to be delivered to the browser (I think?). I'd guess subsequent page loads are much faster because only the data necessary to render the page is sent.

I'm slightly out of my depth here but that's my understanding.

16. MagicalAzareal

+115
    It's not just how long it takes to generate a page, if we're really comparing speeds, then you could do that in like 100 microseconds on a fast system (1000 microseconds in a millisecond and 1000 milliseconds in a second) with 2 to 3 queries.

What you really need to take into account is how much data is being sent back and forth and how much time is spent completely rebuilding the DOM / CSSOM every-time you click a link.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.