GoDaddy Switches Servers To Amazon Web Services

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by Joeychgo, May 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,409
    SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Amazon Web Services, Inc. (AWS), an Amazon.com company (NASDAQ:AMZN), today announced that GoDaddy Inc. (NYSE: GDDY) is going all-in on AWS, migrating the vast majority of its infrastructure as part of a multi-year transition. GoDaddy will leverage the breadth and depth of AWS services—including machine learning, analytics, databases, and containers—to innovate faster than ever before and to meet the needs of its customer growth around the world. AWS will enable GoDaddy to accelerate the delivery of its products and services, and easily deploy them globally in minutes, to its customers worldwide.

More: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180328005408/en/GoDaddy-All-In-AWS

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  2. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+634
    wowza! never seen that one

3. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,015
    Huh, never expected a traditional registrar/hosting company to switch over to AWS.

4. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+754
    Woah at US$90-120 per TB bandwidth costs on AWS, wonder if GoDaddy's bandwidth bills will end up cheaper ?

5. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+634
    amazon will own go daddy soon i bet

maybe we can get some decent commercials then

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. bucket

bucket badge consultant

+189
    i have had trouble logging in to godaddy for a couple of weeks. this might be the reason.

my older version on firefox still lets me log in. i have not updated my browsers in a while :)

7. Tecca

Tecca Fan

+438
    Is that what happens when you spend all your money on Super Bowl ads every year, but not your own infrastructure?

:Popcorn:

8. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+2,085
    I hope AWS is better than when I used it, and when IB used it.

I tested it about five years ago, and its performance was the worst out of all the VPS I tried at the time.

vBulletin cloud was built (and ran) on AWS for its first year or more, but reliability issues (and costs) caused them to move it in-house.

• List
  9. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+606
    We have no complaints at work and we run sites across availability zones and some serious clusters on it, things that easily sustain a tens of thousands of hits a minute (legit non bot traffic, I might add)

• List
  10. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+754
    yeah AWS has different hypervisors for their VPSes. You want to be using their Nitro hypervisor for near bare metal performance. Older AWS hypervisors can have as much as 40-50% overhead compared to bare metal! i.e. Nitro is used in AWS C5 instances - full run down by Netflix's Brendan Gregg www.brendangregg.com/blog/2017-11-29/aws-ec2-virtualization-2017.html

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  11. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,901
    If Godaddy dropped off the earth I wouldn't shed a tear, based on their business practices over the years.

12. MikeDVB

MikeDVB Fan

+52
    A lot of providers are outsourcing their infrastructure to infrastructure providers - and then focusing on the product itself [the hosting]. It can be good or bad, depends on the motivations for the move.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.