Giveaways: How free stuff can increase engagement

fixer

I'm In My Prime
It don’t take much, maybe its just tapping into the human Psyche .. something for nothing is just too irresistible.

Giveaways and proper promotion can get people to join your site and make that first post and get them hooked here are some tips to get the most out of it.

On a past community over a 4 year period i gave away over $65,000 in prizes and it cost me $0 to do it via bartering of sponsorships and investment and returns. You dont need to go this route tho read below to learn how to maximize your giveaways

Go to admin cp and set users to auto subscribe to threads they post in

Find a prize around $30-$50 max , if it relates to your niche thats even better but ive given away Nintendo game systems on Diesel truck websites so it dont matter as much as you think

stay away from gift cards

Start a give away thread and require that the user makes a post on that thread to enter (their post will subscribe them and every new entry will email them to come back)

Promote the giveaways thread to guests only with an image only they can see

Use social media to advertise your giveaway
example:
1049C84E-9E6A-4ACE-BA06-60E0DE1CE25B.jpeg

may as well try to get some page likes too

the page likes do more for you then to know, for example if you tell 10 random people about your site maybe 2 will join.... but if you tell 10 people who are frequent to things relative to your niche then maybe 8 will join... thing is its going to cost you the same amount of money to tell 10 people either way... this is why facebook is huge and successful.

during your giveaway campaign its all about little wins...

have someone see your add
have someone click your add
have someone sign up for your site
have someone post
hope why they are there they post elsewhere
user become active and a valuable member

user makes donations, posts content to increase google revenue, upgrades membership.... and in turn more than pays for how much it all cost you to run a giveaway for an item less than $50

Don't believe me? Just try it and post here so we can talk about success...

here is mine :p

https://www.mymilitia.com/forums/topic/56772-giveaway-jan-2019-just-post-here-to-enter/

ripptech

Professional Lurker
How do you stop people from gaming it? Signing up with multiple accounts and making "me too" posts just to get entered, that sort of thing. Or is it really not an issue?

fixer

I'm In My Prime
How do you stop people from gaming it? Signing up with multiple accounts and making "me too" posts just to get entered, that sort of thing. Or is it really not an issue?
never had an issue

Ingenious

Fan
It's a great idea (done something similar) especially if you can get the prizes for $0 - and ripptech even if people game it (multiple accounts) it still "works" in terms of apparent users, engagement, traffic (which in turn sells advertising). I had a few multiple accounts for mine, but not many.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
i wondwr what keeps someone from faking a giveaway?

like a new car then announce a fake winner

zappaDPJ

Administrator

I've always assumed that's exactly what happens which is why I've never knowingly entered a competition in my life :tup:

fixer

I'm In My Prime
i got the flashlight today from amazon, i opened the box and added 5 promo business cards and a pocket constitution and resealed now to wait for the winner!

we have some entrees now mostly from people who just joined, not many regulars have entered which is strange

im using the new email service and found less than 100 people open my emails out of 3000 people lol so no wonder they are ineffective

Leaf_Green

Enthusiast
Sorry if this is too big a bump, but this thread caught my eye. I did something like this when I relaunched my forum. I ran a few giveaways. This was more or less a way to attract Facebook followers to the forum which is about the exact same thing. A lot of the Facebook followers were previously forum members before the switch to Facebook. The conditions were simple. There was a smaller giveaway that only required sharing and liking on Facebook. There were two much larger ones that involved posting on the forum for an entry.

The prizes were merchandise that many fans of the niche would no doubt love to own. I'd probably spent a few hundred dollars on the whole thing. Worldwide shipping wasn't cheap either, especially with large boxes containing a lot of merch. What did I get out of the whole bright idea? Not really much. A couple of new members. Most who joined for the giveaway had gone away soon after the giveaway finished. Not only was this quite disheartening as an admin who only did it out of goodwill (after all, I don't make a dime from the site) but it doesn't paint a good picture when members seemingly have no reason to stay.

It cost time and money but I wouldn't say I completely regret the gesture. A few good fans of the niche ended up with some nice prizes that they've likely cherished. They deserved the prize(s) even if I didn't get the result I'd hoped for. And I had learned a lesson from the experience: being too nice to members can work against you. Don't be a Scumbag Steve, but perhaps you shouldn't be a Good Guy Greg either.

ggg.png

There's that whole issue of how some people are too modest to accept most gifts too. It's odd but I started to feel that maybe being very generous can cause people to respect you less? Either way I've moved on from that. I've tried almost everything to receive traffic.Things are okay at the moment. I've concluded that giveaways often do not work. Sometimes they may but I think twice nowadays before considering such an action.

Last edited:

Somniloquent

Enthusiast
We give away thousands of dollars in prizes every year. The prizes are donated and usually ship direct to the winner. It's still a big hassle to organize, but it's fun. We do contests of skill, as raffles are illegal where we're based. However, members enjoy putting together their entries.

SteveAR

Aspirant
I'm gonna give this a shot and post back to give my outcome. Thank you!

fixer

I'm In My Prime
awesome good luck looking forward to your results

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin

There might be legal ramifications to (pretending to be) giving away a valuable prize over a certain value. Is it coming from your pocket and legal has filed the necessary paperwork to confirm the giveaway is real, selection is random and the prize will definitely be awarded, or is another party the one actually gifting?
If participation requires or incentivises a purchase (buying tickets, sendkng multiple SMS to a premium number), the above could be enforced, like in case participants ask your local authorities about your giveaway.