Ghost

Taylor J

Fan
Has anyone here experimented with using Ghost as their blog/cms of choice?

I'm actually in the process of setting up a server with Vultr right now (they sent me a code for $10 free so that's a month free) and I was thinking about using Wordpress but remembered that Ghost was a thing that I was actually very interested in in the past.

I was just wondering for people that have used it how easy is it to keep it up to date with upgrades and the such and how easy is it to maintain over time.

MikeDance

Aspirant
I love Ghost the only downside I have with it.... is NodeJS is a pain to set up especially on shared hosting. Softaculous did do a good job on it but I can't find it on there anymore. Could pay for their cloud service but it soon adds up.

gil

Neophyte
I have tried Ghost several times throughout the years, but it has never worked well for me. Reasons:

- Not extensible. They do have integrations, but nowhere near what you can get with WordPress.
- Hard to customize. I'm fairly decent at web development, but Ghost is extremely difficult to customize or change any functionality.
- Contributors don't really like it. I have sites with multiple contributors and not everyone likes it or knows how to use it super well.
- Hosting is a pain. Like someone above mentioned, you've got to run a specific stack to support it.

I think Ghost would be good for a small single-person blog, but not for a huge site with hundreds of posts & multiple contributors.

I am not a massive fan of WP, but it does run almost all of my sites.

overcast

Adherent
If we compare Ghost with WordPress, it won't come near WP at all. WP is very extendable and also lot of better themes and page builders. Also lot better plugins.

LordOfSpoon

Ghost is very hard to setup for someone who is no so 'tech savy'. Ghost is very clean and the themes for it are too. It's very barebones. Wordpress has a butt load of options, but I run a ghost blog and love it. Stupid simple and straight to the point.