Generally speaking why does it seem older people are more respectful then younger people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fixer, Jan 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Comes with age

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Just their culture

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. catch all bs option you all are going to pick anyway

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+878
    I don't like to generalize. However, when it comes to media like forums, I think we can point to changes in the education system for some of the differences between the oldsters and the youngsters. Back in the Mesolithic when I was in school, we were taught that it wasn't enough to get the answer. We also had to be able to present that answer in an organized, logical way, with supporting evidence. Critical thinking, logic, and debate were important cornerstones in our education process.

Fast forward to the last decade and those cornerstones have all but disappeared. Now, just getting the answer is the goal, essay writing skills have been replaced by 'reports', and multiple choice exams are the norm. Without the background in reasoning skills, it is no wonder that younger forum users can become frustrated and rude when trying to express their opinions to others.

2. phatcows

phatcows Enthusiast

+95
    I am surprised that this was the first (indirect) mention of the rise of the internet and how it is accessible.
    Technology has provided some things for the better, medicine for example, but I also think it's heavily affected education in a negative way too.

That's okay, not all 'older' people are more respectful either. Just look at Trump :rolleyes:

3. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+1,921
    Please leave politics out of this discussion.

4. phatcows

phatcows Enthusiast

+95
    It wasn't in the discussion. I was using his character as an example. The fact that he is a politician is irrelevant.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.