Generally speaking why does it seem older people are more respectful then younger people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fixer, Jan 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Comes with age

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Just their culture

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. catch all bs option you all are going to pick anyway

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+708
    vote and dont ask for 10 thousand options to be added

2. Panupat

Panupat Habitué

+95
    The part of our brain responsible for understand consequences won't be fully developed until we're in our mid 20's.

3. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+930
    The are so many options you could add to the poll; different generations are growing up in societies that have changed, (re)moved boundaries, a slackening off of discipline, deterrents to bad behaviour no longer in place, lack of upbringing by parents who are often too busy and knackered by the end of the day to care, kids left to fend for themselves because parents have lost interest or just given up trying, societal issues, 'the me first' culture, the 'where there's a blame there's a claim' culture. Basically it comes down to morals, ethics and values, all of which have changed and are still in a state of flux; both in society and personal.

Respect is often a result of discipline, good upbringing and an instilling of what boundaries (should) exist and which should not be crossed; that was an era that I grew up in and now, at 64, I see almost everything I grew up with and taught to believe in, is going down the tubes. There's no discipline in schools, none in the home, none in the streets and no self-respect in individuals; of course there are exceptions, but they are becoming a rare breed. And of course we have the bleeding heart brigade that slide out of the shadows whenever 'they feel' people's 'human rights' are being infringed upon.

I grew up in an era where if you were walking along on the same side as a policeman coming towards you, the instinctive reaction would be to cross the road before you crossed alongside each other. Now police are almost scared to attend a crime scene for fear of being attacked; same goes for the fire brigade and ambulance paramedics, all of which who get pelted with stones and half bricks whenever they attend a crime scene or emergency. It's disgusting to see that this is what people are turning into. In my days of youth it was an extremely rare thing to see a murder or other serious crime being reported; nowadays it twice, thrice daily.

So who's to blame and can it be fixed? Society and parents are equally guilty of allowing this generation degeneration. Can it be fixed? Not immediately without significant changes that would cause a massive rebellion and potentially many people being killed. It's a sad state of affairs that has been allowed to fester over several decades and will take even more decades to fix, that is if anyone is truly interested in fixing it; which I doubt as the rot has gone too far.

I've lived in some lovely places only to see them degraded into potential no go zones; right now I live in an area where feral youths go around in gangs causing no end of misery and trouble for others - and they get away with it. Individually they are cowards at heart, but in their gang they have the security of numbers and no one dare look at them, least of all say something - and the police are hamstrung by stupid rules and regulations and so are seen as impotent and these youths know it. Sad state of affairs and sad times; talk to anyone from my generation and they all say more or less the same as I have posted here.

:(

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,887
    I have a slightly different view of the world. We all grow up to become our parents whose job it is to moan about the younger generation.

5. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+11
    Funny thing is that I think humans got more polite at some point in the 20th century, if compared to the previous century and if my history studies are correct, way more polite at some point in the 20th century then maybe five of six hundred years earlier.

I think humans are sort of sliding back to a style that was common some hundreds of years ago.

But a really good natural disaster can put people back on that politeness thing because so many find out how vulnerable they are to Mother Nature. I think in many "rich" countries the problem is that humans think they are way stronger than they really are. I mean, I am coming across as really cold, I'm sure; but I am not kidding about a natural disaster. It is a kind of educating tool that teaches humans they are really pretty fragile when their fancy machines aren't around to protect them.

That also goes for adequate food supplies. Too much food being available makes humans get impolite. Same thing, so many people do not realize that the food production system can break and so quickly folks are going hungry. Hungry people are more polite than those that can stuff their face every day.

Just a few thoughts. > > > Sorry if anyone takes offense. < < < Just practicing.

6. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,977
    Older people have always complained about a lack of respect among youth and how things were better when they grew up. They are looking through rose-colored glasses at their past. You can find it in writings going back hundreds of years.

- Sigh -Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

7. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+930
    Not everyone looks through rose coloured glasses, many of the points I raised in my original post are valid. I'm not saying that every child was an angel when I was young, but there was an inbuilt warning system that most youngster validated their actions by. Today that is not so; the proof is on my doorstep and in the crimes committed by young people that were unheard of in my youth. I have seen the changes in society over the decades and the softly softly touch that has been employed in the belief that it would make better people out the young as they grew into adulthood. The old Victorian value of 'spare the rod and spoil the child' is an example of how things have changed; and I'm not advocating that ALL Victorian values were useful, simply this one that stands out and has proved the point. Society has become soft (in the head at times) and far too lenient on wrongdoers. The latest example that was in the news recently was two drug dealers who were let off from a custodial sentence because the judge was impressed by their grammar in the texts that they sent each other; is that for real or what?

Another recent news snippet proclaimed that prisoners are to be given telephones in their cells in the belief that will help them to rehabilitate; what a load of crap. And this is how society is 'progressing' - far too many bleeding hearts out there imposing their pathetic beliefs and values and every time they succeed we fall a little further into the mire.

;)

8. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+878
    Older people are often more respectful because we grew up with the attitude that respect was something that should be given to all -- and especially to our elders.

Younger people grew up with the attitude that respect should be earned and deserved.

9. snerd

snerd Neophyte

+2
    I voted culture. It's what was expected, no, required of us.

10. Lala

Lala Participant

+35
    I'm noticing that older people get less emotional about disagreements or injustices (real or perceived), tend to enjoy observation more than participation. A 16yo feels compelled to jump into a heated argument each time they witness someone saying something they disagree with. A 60yo might ask a clarifying question instead, or just chuckle and move on. I don't think it's necessarily more respect, I think it's just a calmer head, different priorities, maybe more empathy.

11. phatcows

phatcows Enthusiast

+95
    Life skills perhaps? Maturity?
    There are age restrictions for certain activities for a reason ;-)

12. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,977
    In the USA:

Youth crime has dropped dramatically over the past 30 years. This includes teenage crime rates, dropping by over 50% since the 1990s. Teenage pregnancies were the highest in US history during the romanticized conservative 1950s. They've cut in half since the mid-1990s alone.
    Youth literacy rates have been steadily increasing since the 1960s.
    High School drop out rates are about 1/3rd what they were 40 years ago.
    Bullying rates have decreased.
    Youth drug and alcohol use rates are lower than they were decades ago
    Teenage smoking rates are lower.
    The percentage of 15-17 year-olds who have had sex is half what it was in the mid to late 1980s.
    They are less likely to hold racist attitudes.
    Teen driving fatality rates are about 70% lower than in the 1960s, and safer cars does not account for all of this.
    Teen drunk driving rates are a fraction of what they used to be.
    Even the famous "marshmallow" test used to test the ability to self-control, shows self-control rates have increased over the past 50 years.

Suicide and depression are up, that trend has been caused by hopelessness in the job market and financial stress over student loans. They are a college loan debt-ridden generation, caused by the failed promises of those before them saying that's what they needed to do.

Over in the UK, similar trends of better behaved youth than the past.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...0-years-ago-Manners-decline-claims-study.html
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...r-behaved-today-than-20-years-ago-478794.html

What has changed for the worst:
    Sensationalized news where you hear about every bizarre event anywhere in the country. When you were a kid, you knew local news and only major national news events. Also, now we have liberal and conservative outlets who feed a confirmation bias cycle. It used to be you'd hear about the bizarre things some people did only in tabloids. Now its everywhere, including so-called respectable news networks and traditional publishers.

The younger generation is getting an undeserved bad rap.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  13. Somniloquent

Somniloquent Enthusiast

+112
    In a lot of circumstances, I think younger people are more respectful than older people. For example, I've seen younger people be more understanding of those in customer service positions, probably because they have those kinds of jobs or have had them more recently than older people.

14. StaticAge

StaticAge Enthusiast

+27
    I don't see it as being the case at all.

15. Yappi

Yappi Enthusiast

+70
    I think you will find most of those "teen" pregnancies in the 1950s were married teens. The unmarried teen pregnancies was very low in the 1950s and has skyrocketed since.

16. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,977
    Most of those teen marriages in the 1950s when there was a pregnancy, the bride was already pregnant when she stood before a judge or minister. Over 75% of teenage marriage in this period occurred due to pregnancy, while those who married then had children were less than 25%. 11% of teenage girls were married due to pregnancy. The other 6% married (yes, over 17% of teenagers were married then) before having a pregnancy., And in some cases where the pregnancy happened after marriage, they were "arranged" marriages or parentally coerced.

17. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,887
    This thread reminds me of a song I haven't heard in around 50 years...

18. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+11
    Oh my goodness! That is one I remember!! Is that image showing a 45? I don't think I've seen a 45 is a fair bit. Maybe one of those collector's places. Yep, I suspect there are a few folks around here in my age bracket. Not sure why that seems cool. Whole bunch of younger folks are pretty neat, too. But I bet they never had to rely on Father Harry on an AFR station to hear some decent music with some interesting talk to go with it.

19. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+930
    I believe there needs to be a definition of what is meant by 'younger people' as anyone younger than yourself can be considered a 'younger person'. Are we talking about different ages groups or a singular age group. There are young at school (in varying age groups) there are young teenages, there are young people in their 20's, etc. It would be helpful to know which group of 'young' people are being referred to in posts.

For my own posts I am referring to young people still at school, or recently left, from age 5 -17; there is a huge difference between age groups when referring to them in this context.

;)

20. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,077
    I think it comes with age, but also the fact adults went through the golden age of forums where discussion was expected to be more elaborate than on today's platforms, easier to accomplish on desktop and conflict easier to avoid.

In compareason, youngsters' only venues for communication experienced might have been ones that incentivized dropping link, oneliners and especially reactions to existing posts instead of articulate commentary. Xbox live, social networks, instagram...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.