General Discussion Forum

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Ashley S, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Ashley S

Ashley S Adherent

+115
    Hello all.
    I have been out of owning a forum for about 2 years now and really want to get back in to it.

I know there's too many General Discussion forums but I honestly love discussing about anything and everything and the General Discussion forum niche matches it perfectly. I know I've created a few in the past which was pretty successful they suddenly died because my activity on the forum became very low due to family and so on.

I love Gaming, Computers, and different other hobbies which I am sure most you have a few hobbies yourself's. I'll defiantly be using MyBB I've always pretty much used it and it's very user friendly with plenty of plugins to use.

I'll be using a brand new URL/Name once I figure it out. Even if I am online on my own I will be contributing with post new threads and posts to try and keep the forum alive this time round.

I always find though once you have a good Moderating team the forum gets more activity.
    Will always be on the look out for people to help me out with posting new threads & posts and staying active on the forum I know it's getting harder and harder but I want to get out there and start one again!

What do you think? There is a lot of General Discussion & Gaming forums but a lot are successful and still very active.

Want to help out? Just send me a private message and we can sort things out, thank you!

2. rngrdanny22

rngrdanny22 Adherent

+13
    It's probably the toughest forum type to get started. In today's world, sites like Twitter, Facebook, etc. are basically "general discussion" forums.

The best bet is to pick a specific niche and go for it. If you enjoy computers, why not just start a computer forum?

3. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+691
    What's a "successful forum" to you?

A "successful" forum doesn't die just because the admin becomes less active.

Either your forums weren't successful or a lot more happened than you taking a break.

4. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+237
    Don't waste your time.
    The niche is saturated and you have nothing else to offer.

5. BGObsession

BGObsession Participant

+39
    My buddy and I built a beautiful forum to discuss music, art, culture, technology, philosophy. It was aesthetically awesome. And we attracted some really smart members. But we could never build a real membership for the same reasons others have highlighted. I actually just let the domain name go this week. I strongly agree that you need a narrowly focused niche or you will probably not be successful in building a following/membership.

6. Horton

Horton Aspirant

+14
    The narrower the better even it that makes a few members leave. In the end being focused will mean growth.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted