General Chatter

Average User Rating:
4/5,
  1. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,097
    That's a lot of information but it doesn't have the cluttered look we see so often, and which can be especially noticeable on a black background. Nicely done!

And I'm sure it won't take you long to find something else to fiddle with!

2. Gemma

Gemma Coder/Designer

+134
    Yeah, I think the profiles are the best piece of work I've done on my site. One of the first customizations too which set the tone for the rest of the site. They'll not be to everyone's liking but I think they fit in well with the rest of my theme and they aren't too cluttered with how the information is laid out.
    Taking a break from customizing on GC, I'm working on a light version of the theme but that isn't too hard to create. Hopefully we'll see a stable XF2 sometime in the next 12 months then I can start working on customizing for that :)

3. The Sandman

+5,097
    I don't think you'll be able to wait that long to make more customizations! :D

4. Gemma

Gemma Coder/Designer

+134
    :morganna:

So yesterday it rained for what seemed like ever. Kept me in the house most of the day, bored...only thing to do was customize something!!!

Revisited my Notable Members layout and changed the tabs to FontAwesome icons

NotableMembersTab.png

Also, tidied up some of the Notable Members, Member List, Online Members layout and made the mobile layout look a bit better.

Mobile.png NotableMembers.png

Did some work on the On/Off Canvas menus available in the UI.X framework and I've activated the Visitor Tabs panel so it appears at all times so members can easily access their account menu without too much scrolling back to the top of the page.

And tonight, I finished off some Who's Online customizations :)

WhosOnline.png

5. The Sandman

+5,097
    It definitely has the Gemma touch - lots of information but not cluttered. Some of the best work on a black background I've seen. And everything is so neat and uniform... I'd love to sneak a peek in your sock drawer! :D

Edit: What's so funny? Don't you have sock drawers across the pond? Everyone in America has one or more.

upload_2017-6-28_18-11-10.png

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  6. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,302
    That just don't sound right at all. :yeahrt:

7. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,270
  8. Bhavesh Ramburn

Bhavesh Ramburn Quantity Surveyor

+47
    I was told my review might be too blunt, I apologise before you get offended. But please consider the recommendations.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  9. Gemma

Gemma Coder/Designer

+134
    It might not be as pretty as the one here or on xenForo 2 but here's my updated, minimalist layout for the user account tab (navigation visitor tab template) which has been inspired by both mentioned sites - displaying only the "essential" links for my members.

Gone from my previous layout
    General_Chatter_-_2017-07-17_12.06.23.png

To this one
    General_Chatter_-_2017-07-17_12.06.57.png

10. Bhavesh Ramburn

Bhavesh Ramburn Quantity Surveyor

+47
    Cleaner and better.

11. Gemma

Gemma Coder/Designer

+134
    Made some changes to my home page yesterday.

Untitled-1.png

Firstly, I liked how blocks were displayed on a IPS site that MaxxamillionMaxxamillion liked to in another thread and wanted to see if I could create something similar. Since I've already customized featured threads I decided I'd make a go of customizing my Article Management System blocks. I'm quite happy with the design (even on mobile devices)

Articles.png mobile1.png

I also wanted to list some of the latest threads and posts and come up with this.....

NewLatestThreads.png

The rest of my home page comprises of blocks from both the Featured Threads and Showcase addons. Again, I'm happy with the layouts both on desktop and mobile devices.

FT.png Showcase.png mobile2.png

I think, hopefully, that I've addressed the issues of poor web speed and performance results. I have tested, along with a couple of members, on Pingdom, GTMetrix and Google PageSpeed Insights and loading times and performance grades have been pretty decent (for my homepage anyway, optimizing isn't a strong point so I'll, admittedly, need to work on my forum index).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,264
    Oooo Gemma I wish I had your brains. This looks running, the article system you use what is it? Xenporta?

13. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,270
    If i am not mistaken its Article Management System (AMS) from Bob.

14. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+844
    Looking very nice, loads quick

Tons of info though, might be a bit busy to some

awesome work though, keep it up :)

15. Gemma

Gemma Coder/Designer

+134
    The articles system is indeed AMS by Bob, the portal/home page is featured threads by Brogan (you can featured AMS on it)

Here's what the article system index page looks like - https://generalchatter.co.uk/a/

16. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,264
    I own ams as well :D

17. Gemma

Gemma Coder/Designer

+134
    Still a work in progress but my new thread list layout that I'm working on (I liked the structure in this thread - https://xenforo.com/community/threads/quick-look-at-ui-x-2.126555/ - so I re-created it for my own site). Trying to get away from the usual rows and columns setup....some will like it, some won't.

Before:
    before.png

After:
    ThreadList0.png ThreadList.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  18. The Sandman

+5,097
    Very nice! :yup:

19. Matt C.