Free Stock Photos

Discussion in 'Blogs, Wikis, and other CMP's' started by We-PLAY ORG, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Geeez... another one!!!

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. We-PLAY ORG

We-PLAY ORG Aspirant

+5
    Got last night up my Free Stock Photos page.
    About Us
    United-Forum.NET provides high quality and completely free stock photos. All photos are nicely tagged, searchable and also easy to discover through our discover pages.

Photos
    All photos are hand-picked from photos uploaded by our users or sourced from free image websites. We make sure all published pictures are high-quality and free licensed.

Photo Sources
    Try to deliver as many high quality free stock photos as possible to the creatives who use our website.

Team
    United-Forum.NET is run by Marian Sebastian Termegan (a.k.a. Bastty). Bastty founded United-Forum.NET in 2018.

Contribute
    Upload your own pictures to support the United-Forum.NET community:

Start Uploading

2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,722
    Where can you see the license and how do people know that the uploaded image is from the person who uploaded it.

3. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,722
    Another issue is your signup "Once you click to Sign up you agree with our Terms and Conditions" but that is no where to be found.

4. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+881
    One of the most important things to remember is that whilst a photographer may own the photo that has been taken, the photographer does not automatically own the rights to the content. For example, taking a photo of a famous person may be fine, but then uploading it for others to use is not; you must have explicit permission from the content owner to use that content. It's something that is often overlooked, but if you go to any service that offers to print t-shirts, mugs, etc, they will not print content that may be subject to copyright restrictions unless you can prove to them you have explicit permission.

I would spin this past a lawyer to ensure that you are not breaking any laws.

;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Jericho

Jericho Aspirant

+3
    Great advice there, you may have just saved him alot of trouble down the line.

6. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,722
    Nice terms and conditions but copyright does not work like that. Copyright transfer needs to be done in an official document see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_transfer_agreement

Also how do you make sure someone has copyright if someone is funny and uploads an image from getty to your site and people download it they are liable at that point. If you do not have the user information you can be liable and copyright is not something you mess with its one of does laws you need to proof that you did everything correct.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  7. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+881
    This is one of those areas where you need everything in writing and signed - even then you need to be very careful. In order to protect yourself and others you need names, addresses, contact numbers, etc so if there is any comeback you have the information to hand to pass over to authorities. It's not enough to act in good faith, when you are potentially dealing with something that an uploader does not have rights to, then you need to cover yourself in armour.

As we_are_borgwe_are_borg stated copyright is not something to mess with. No matter how you word your terms and believe they are enough to cover you, think again. I would seriously get some advice from a lawyer conversant in Copyright law. It may cost you, but it could cost you more if you get done.

;)

8. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,722
    Copyright can’t be claimed in user agreements you’ll need signed documents, wording in an agreement how clever worded is a no no.

9. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,706
    This is isn't copyright transfer, it's copyright licensing. And yes, it can be done online. Many big sites which license out copyrighted images do it. You are signing a contractual document when you agree to their terms and conditions.

That being said, honestly the web has massive sites with public domain image archives, how will your site fit into this world and stand out?

10. fixer

fixer Just Me

+535
    Your domain names don't have Jack to do with any of your sites. Maybe it don't matter with sites like go daddy, google ect lol

11. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+881
    Site is gone - disappeared!

12. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,722
    Site gives error 500.

13. Tecca

Tecca Fan

+435
    That deescalated quickly.

14. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Enthusiast

+82
  15. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,722
    If that the new term i would never ever get images from that site. You have no idea where the images come from and who has rights on them.

16. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+881
    It's back up and showing images from 'Go Stock' wow! Unbelievable! I would imagine that anyone looking for 'free stock images' would want them without watermarks plastered over them from another stock image site that charges for watermark free images.

Honestly, We-PLAY ORGWe-PLAY ORG this is an accident waiting to happen; I'm genuinely worried for you because you are walking into realms I fear you know little about.

I commend you for wanting to provide such a site and service, but you really need to go back to the drawing board and rethink your strategy, especially with regards to the legality and end user experience of what you are providing.

;)

17. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,722
    Look at Getty Images and their Terms then you know what is needed.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.