Free Hosted Forums TYRANNY OF CHOICE!!! AHHHH!!! :)

Discussion in 'Free Hosted Forums' started by King G, Dec 23, 2016.

1. proboards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. phpbb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. zetaboards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. vbulletin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. simple machines

50.0%
  6. IPB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. MyBB

50.0%
  1. King G

King G Enthusiast

+9
    So I know I have posted similar questions before but I think I was not very clear.

Here is the issue. I have a forum on proboards it is based on youtubepoops (those weird nonsensical remixed videos on youtube)

http://themightyytpunion.freeforums.net/

To be honest I like proboards because it is free, easy to use, the staff are really kind, the website is secure, and i know nothing about coding so the heavy lifting is done for me :)

But one limitation I heard is that it can't be transferred to another host. And I do not "own" it

I heard phpbb is free to host and use and can be transferred but is harder to use and is targeted by hackers more.

Not sure if I "own" my forum on there though.

What about zeta boards and vbulleten, simple machines, IPB, and MyBB.

I can't decide SO MANY CHOICES AHHHH!!! :)

Honestly should I just stick with proboards because it has no size limit. Do the other choices have size limits?

After you vote please give your insights.

Thank you very much for your votes, insights, and time.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+149
    You seem to be getting slightly muddled.

With forum software such as phpbb, mybb, vbulletin, smf, IPB, xenforo you will need your own hosting and domain.

With those, you will have complete and utter control and can easily transfer content from one to another.

Some of these are free such as mybb, phpbb, smf and others are software you have to pay for such as vbulletin, xenforo and IPB.

Are you looking at
    1) hosting your own site with free software
    2) hosting your own site with paid software
    3) Using proboards or a similar setup

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. doubt

doubt Fanatic

+1,447
    Yes, you should just stick with them.
    In the future when it will become clear to you that what's free forum software and what's free hosting then you can make another decision.

4. King G

King G Enthusiast

+9
    Ok I think I understand. So your saying proboards has free hosting and free software. But a program like phpbb has free software but I have to find my hosting right?

Ideally I like the format of proboards and I want free hosting, free software, unlimited members, and an unlimited amount of space because members can embed videos.

It seems like proboards fits the bill its just the only problem i have with proboards is that i do not "own" the forum and I cannot export threads or transfer it to another host.

Do you have better suggestions that fit my bill?

Thank you very much for your insight. I still have a lot to learn about forum software but I just need a taste in what different softwares offer and how I can have them fit my bill.

5. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+149
    There's a variety of free forums such as proboards around. You'll have to Google it and decide which is best for you.

6. King G

King G Enthusiast

+9
    i'll do that but what about in your experience?

What would you vote for?

thanks

7. King G

King G Enthusiast

+9
    which ones have size limits?

thanks

8. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+2,706
    And I want Santa to drop about 8000 troy ounces of 99.99% pure gold in my stocking (I have a BIG stocking). Not going to happen for either of us.

9. King G

King G Enthusiast

+9
    so i take it proboards would probably fit the bill for me? @tracyperry

10. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Enthusiast

+56
    What's the subject/scope?

11. ozzy47

ozzy47 Moderator

+3,989

12. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+149
    I've never used a service such as proboards or similar so wouldn't be able to advise.

13. Optic

Optic Enthusiast

+45
    Hi King GKing G,

IcyBoards is another free forum host out there - they host MyBB forums.

I've seen people use IcyBoards for their communities, chugging along nicely.

In terms of moving away from them in future it appears you can do so by doing a premium subscription for a one-time $10 that would allow you to download your forums' database. MyBB is also very flexible if you want to change to a different forum software as in-built converters due to MyBB being open source.

14. Dewlance

Dewlance Aspirant

+0
    Better to use self-hosted forum on free hosting site so you can move it at anytime and also your URL will be simple and not subdomain type url.

Free forum hosting does not require anything but self-hosted forum require to install it yourself, buy domain or use free domain and manage update/upgrade.

15. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+770
    Why can we choose vBulletin and IPB there not free to use. IPB had free software bu thats ages ago dont think you can run it anymore with out good knowlege of LAMP installation.

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  16. PoetJC

PoetJC [ ♥ One-Eyed Jacq Of Hearts ♥ ]

+4,195
    The poll could (should?) probably be edited because neither vB or IPB or free scripts o_O

J.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted