France wants Google to disclosure their search algorithm?

cheat_master30

Fanatic
This is... an interesting idea:

http://searchengineland.com/france-...oogle-algorithm-wants-to-regulate-serp-219243

If approved, the proposal would give Arcep, France’s telecoms regulator, powers to scrutinize any search engine that had sufficient power to “structure the functioning of the digital economy.” Google would be required to provide links to at least three rival search engines on its homepage, and disclose to users the “general principles of ranking.”

So basically, they think Google's so much of a monopoly they want them to disclose how the algorithm works and link to at least three competitors on their home page. Somehow I don't see Google being particularly enthusiastic about either of those ideas...

What do you think?

Adam H

** Retired **
I think it would take more than France to get in on that game before Google actually listening , im sure Google would much prefer to just pull services out of France and block all french IP ranges from using Google like they did with some other countries than bow down to such audacious demands.

If the entire EU was to play along the same lines though.............then Google may have some issues as that is a huge market share.

What would be interesting to see would be who google would list as competition/rivals, i suspect Duck duck go would gain too much momentum if they were exposed to joe public so it could be safer to list house hold names in hope they havent already switched because they prefer Googles platform.

Duck duck go obviously deserving their place as an alternative choice however.