Forums for an ASP.net Website

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by joyblueyes, Oct 28, 2009.

1. joyblueyes

joyblueyes Neophyte

+0
    It seems that the AdminZone is really about PHP based Forum software. Any suggestions on where to go to get advice on integrating a forum with an ASP.net based website?

According to Wikipedia, there are about 10 choices for ASP.net forums. I am condidering either AspPlayground or YetAnotherForum. Community Server is considered the best ASP.net product, but I don't have $20,000 to spend on a forum. I would love to use VBulletin, but how could we get it to work with ASP.net?

Any words of wisdom from the group will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Joyce

2. Reverse Groove

Reverse Groove Enthusiast

+2
    Greetz.

http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/

It is mainly .ASP, the forums were powered by .ASP type forum software a few years back, then the new owners converted the forum to Vbulletin, but none the less i'd maybe ask your question/s there. ;)

3. Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann SMF Lead Developer

+38
    Unfortunately there isn't really an easy way to integrate PHP and ASP. YAF seems to be the best free ASP forum software. There's also Snitz.

4. Abbott

Abbott Enthusiast

+1
    [tab] Any reason why you want to use ASP.net in particular?

5. joyblueyes

joyblueyes Neophyte

+0
    To all:

1. Checked with 4guysfromrolla. Their response was that their website in linux based. This is why they could use VBulletin.

2. Why ASP.net? We started developing our website about 3 years ago. Choices for website developers in our area were very limited. The company we ended up going with was coding exclusively in ASP.net. We either need to re-write the website in PHP, linux, etc., or find something that will work with ASP.net. I am considering AspPlayground. More features than YAF or Snitz. Biggest forum using AspPlayground appears to be RCUniverse. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ Also, the Susan G. Komen website is using AspPlayground.

Any thoughts?

6. Greg

Greg TAZ Rookie

+129
    You can have a different section of your site running in PHP without changing your entire site...

7. Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann SMF Lead Developer

+38
    Yes, but good luck trying to integrate an ASP .NET website with a PHP-based forum...

8. Greg

Greg TAZ Rookie

+129
    Oh, whoops. Integrate as in login systems...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted