Forum Software with better spam protection

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by Jason5, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Jason5

Jason5 Adherent

+47
    I am currently using MyBB and i see lot of spammers signing up. Any forum software you used felt better in terms of handling spam? I am currently using re-captcha and Q&A for spam measures.

I understand that there is no 100% protection from spam. But love to know which felt better.

2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,118
    XF and IPS handle spam well, before i was running the show we used MyBB and it was crap 100 posts with spam was done in hour or so. With IPS they aren't even able to post the system catches most. If not one button and there gone before they post.

3. DanielF

DanielF Aspirant

+31
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  4. Jason5

Jason5 Adherent

+47
    Great, i seen few vBulletin forums too and the sign up rate of spammers is less. Any vBulletin users can confirm it.

DanielF That is great, so another 10$ for the plugin hmm. And funny it has India in the list..i am from India

5. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,403
    I've always found Q&A to be the most effective deterrent when it comes to spam but it clearly doesn't work for everyone, I just don't fully understand why. There are obviously many questions that even bots can answer but surely it's possible to create a Q&A that works 99% of the time?

6. Jason5

Jason5 Adherent

+47
    Google claims the recaptcha can help us fight spams but it is less effective in forums right?

7. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,403
    Yes, about 99% effective using a custom field Q&A. However it's currently not a product I'd recommend.

In my experience it either works so well only bots can bypass it (but not genuine members) or it doesn't work at all.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  8. Jason5

Jason5 Adherent

+47
    Moderating user registration will be a good choice for starter but as the forum grow i think it will be a pain.

9. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,403
    I actually do that on one forum because it's a customer service forum for customers only. As we only get a handful of new registrations a day it's not too much work but we do use a custom system with push notification so we can validate members within seconds.

Speed of response is essential because these days people expect an instance response if they sign up to anything.

10. Jason5

Jason5 Adherent

+47
    So the improving Woltlab is in question now. Will the new upgrade manage the spam better?

11. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,223
    Same old question... Same old answer.

12. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,266
    I've been very happy with the spammer lockout abilities of both IPS and XF, both solid. I also setup moderation of posts with links in them for the first 10 posts for the rare spammer who manages to slip through (human spammers!).

13. overcast

overcast Adherent

+58
    I think SimpleMachines and Xenforo both has pretty good anti spam plugins.

14. Vekseid

Vekseid Participant

+18
    For free: SMF or Elkarte, with their respective Stop Forum Spam plugins (Elkarte - StopForumSpam - SMF - Stop Spammer). For smaller forums I can go years without seeing a spammer sign in.

Elliquiy, a Simple Machines forum with over 15 million posts and associated visibility, did not see a single spammer for all of 2017 and has seen eight spammers since.

My largest Elkarte forum has had one spammer in four years.

Paid: Xenforo with Xon's Signup Abuse Detection and Blocking addon.

Default Xenforo is atrocious, I would consider it something below the bare minimum of what modern forum software should do. For the period in which Elliquiy saw 8 spammers, Blue Moon (a forum half its activity) saw 80, with hundreds of false positives. You can regularly see spammers slip through on their own forums.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  15. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,693
    XenForo has a decent set of spam tools, but I would not want to think about running a XF board without additional addons. The SFS implementation is broken IMHO. There are way too many spammers coming through on a vanilla install. IMO the trick is to have a unique multilayered defense to cover all factors including blacklists/whitelists for a wide range of things, recaptcha, automatic profile analysis, multiple account detection, keyword analysis for posts by new accounts, browser fingerprint analysis, blocking of some countries, etc, etc. Cloudflare can be useful as well.

16. overcast

overcast Adherent

+58
    Yes default implementation of Xenforo needs lot of addons and same is the case with SMF too. There are some rules that can be set on SMF like registration filtering before accepting new member but apart from that both of those need anti spam plugin.

17. Jura

Jura Devotee

+234
    IPB supports https://www.keycaptcha.com/

Can't use either of the paid upgrades from US though for some reason, but free still works.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.