Suggestion Forum software website clean up

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Jason5, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Jason5

Jason5 Adherent

+49
    In Forum Software section we have different forum software section in which we have a pinned topic saying. Show us your MyBB, Post your Xenforo here etc...

Can the links in these forum be cleaned up gradually? As most of the sites closed and no more. It would be great to archive old urls and keep the active ones.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,186
    If you come across a dead site link report the post please. We go through periodically but it has been a while.

3. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,079
    Hmm, this makes me wonder if we could ask for an archive link in addition to the live site one in future. That way, even when the links break, people can at least see what the site did look like when it was still around, and it'll keep the post at least somewhat useful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  4. Phillip

Phillip The Priest

+1,492
    Actually like the sound of that.

5. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,476
    I'm sure most people know about the Internet Archive and can click and search a url for themselves if they're really that curious lol https://archive.org/web/

6. Jason5

Jason5 Adherent

+49
    I will report as much links i can. Thanks for considering this.

7. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+758
    Can I ask what value is there to viewing an archive of a dead site? The site is, frankly, dead.

What are you going to see from an archived screenshot of a dead site? The answer: nothing that actually matters.

You'll see a pretty theme. You see some custom group formatting. You'll see a beautiful homepage.

But what you won't see is the complete lack of value, the lack of specialized and specialty knowledge, the lack of community management interaction and leadership that are actually important in sustaining online communities.

I'm not trying to call anybody out. But if all you want is to look at pretty websites, there are a dozen themers in Invision Community with stunning portfolios. But to see the value and magic of thriving communities (which is really what TAZ should be focused on), you will need to dive down into the actual content and interaction. If you could somehow archive those best practices, that's way more valuable than screenshots of some pretty - but defunct - forums.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Russ

Russ Administrator

+1,833
    I think when the upgrade to 2.x finally happens on TAZ we utilize Showcase primarily to actually showcase sites. Isolate the number of links that are required to be checked and have a dedicated area for all communities. At the moment... people are posting in those threads across the various platform nodes, showcase, and reviews for a single site.

9. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,033
    I'm not fussed either way on this topic, but just wanted to mention that I find often the opposite is sometimes true, and from a design perspect I find that's where the value is when I look up some old sites on the way back machine. If it's an old, dead site, it's likely to be an outdated theme looks like from a previous era and I think it's interesting to see how design and UI trends have changed and progressed, or regressed perhaps, as the case is sometimes.

10. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+206
    I forgot TAZ had a showcase section tbh lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.