Forum Promotion shut down?

Discussion in 'Internet and Technology' started by cheat_master30, Aug 15, 2016.

1. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,079
    Hope this isn't against the rules to mention, but apparently Forum Promotion (a very large webmaster/promotion forum) now seems to redirect to a college holding page deal.

forumpromotiondown.png
    That's what I see when I go to ForumPromotion.net. A weird holding page type site/college blog that has nothing to do with forums.

So yeah, what do you think has happened? Have they finally shut down? Did they get hacked like Webhosting Talk? An angry admin redirected the domain? It just somehow expired and someone snatched it up overnight?

Cause it's very weird to see a large admin site like this just vanish into a matter of hours.

Also, you'd better hope that all those people looking to promote forums don't think The Admin Zone is a copy of that site. Cause people will look for alternatives now...

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,447
    I haven't visited that site in quite some while, is it/was it still active?

3. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    I think the forum was dead, and had been for a while. Looks like they binned the forum and are in the process of doing something else, and looks like they stuck a blog up of some sort? Also, doesn't look like any redirect is used - still on same domain name from what I can see.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  4. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,181
    What works for classic sites doesnt for forum-type communities as they depend not on repeat visits, but retention of content-creating activity.

The whole idea of forum promotion is built on a misleading permise (you have to keep absorbing more traffic than you 'give', otherwise failure to live up your declared purpose is guaranteed), and dropping the link can only go so as far as interest generated among active visitors.

5. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    Nothing weird if the forum has been dead for ages. They may have decided time has come to remove it and try something else, no point keep running a dead site forever when nothing is changing for the better. Also, didn't Google a while back say they now frown upon these forum promotion types sites and sites using them, maybe that killed them off seeing as everyone tends to listen to what google says not do.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  6. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Administrator

+2,279
    This must be fairly recent as I went there no long ago to check it out after seeing it mentioned here. Their whois record doesn't show any recent update, but I didn't look very deeply.

7. ncbetz

ncbetz Enthusiast

+47
    It was very recent. I was browsing the forum last night (10 hours ago).

8. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,079
    Well, seems to be up again now. They say it's a hosting problem, though some other members are saying the site itself has a lot of management issues as well.

9. Maddox

Maddox Habitué

+972
    It appears to be a decent enough site on the face of it, but they really need to sort out their email system; I registered there and never received the activation email even after numerous requests and emails to the admins. Not much good if people can't register!

:eek:

10. cpvr

cpvr Tazmanian Master

+164
    I was getting cloudfare errors last night.

11. Casmic

Casmic Software Developer

+32
    Hi, I'm an admin there. We're been under an extended Denial of Service attack for the last couple days. It's definitely not a good situation to be in, but the site is definitely not down permanently.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  12. Thomasss

Thomasss Aspirant

+4
    Oh, it does. :p

I'm the CTL there and whilst most of the staff have done a lot to try and fix all these errors, not much has come out of it and the owner isn't exactly the most helpful - which is why some of us have banded together to create a new forum for all of FP to come and enjoy. :p

Yeah, our email servers don't actually work all that often - we've been trying to fix it but there's only one person that can do that, and it's yet to be fixed. :p

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  13. Justin M

Justin M Aspirant

+4
    Who are you guys hosted with?

14. Jason5

Jason5 Adherent

+48
    Past 2 days site is not loading for me and few tests say they are down

15. JordanH

JordanH Imperial Majesty

+236
    I wouldn't say hundreds sometimes thousands of posts a day dead :p
    The owner does not seem to be very well good with websites. Not sure why he spent over 10-15 thousand buying it from Sean when he has no idea how to run sites.

The owner says it has been under massive DDoS attacks. Seems to be trying to sort around it today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  16. Jason5

Jason5 Adherent

+48
    Sad to hear that, i thought the new admin will bring more changes :(

17. Justin M

Justin M Aspirant

+4
    It looks like they've been back up for a couple hours now

18. JordanH

JordanH Imperial Majesty

+236
    Still down for me.
    But getting forbidden error:
    https://snaap.me/j66jqo

19. Justin M

Justin M Aspirant

+4
    I'm guessing they still only have very limited connectivity while that DDoS is sorted out. It's only me and a bunch of guests on there right now

20. Jason5

Jason5 Adherent

+48
    I get this message,

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.