Forum owners who don't care for mobile

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by Maxxamillion, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,269
    I myself browse a lot via mobile, it's easier than me sitting at my desktop doing nothing all day.

I've come across quite a handful of sites in the showcase that I've been interested in and cannot browse or register because they've not made it mobile friendly.

This day and age more people browse via mobile especially social sites as it's just easier to access than whipping out a laptop or booting up a pc.

Why is optimisation for multiple platforms not on people's to do list before they go live?

It's something I personally make sure works on as many platforms as possible.

More or a rant I guess than anything else

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,099
    I believe the answer to that is because the majority of forum developers, owners and admins spend more time sitting in front of a PC than they do browsing on a phone.

3. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+8,202
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  4. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,269
  5. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,269
    I understand that, but as owners of potentially a business you need to cater for as many platforms as possible, mobile is huge and it shouldn't be on the bottom of people's lists.

6. R0binHood

R0binHood Adherent

+140
    I think it's the owners/admins and them alone.

I've read so mang posts on this site and xf.com where admins are resisting the need to focus on mobile ux because they 'hate using forums on their phone', or 'couldn't possibly comprehend writing quality content or long posts on their phone'. That dismissive attitude is a big **** you to their users and it's holding their communities back.

Any dev worth their salt apprecietes the importance, and I don't doubt the xf devs are incredibly mobile aware in everything they do and are planning, even if many people feel it's not quite there yet.

7. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,161
    TBH, I think both sides need to be reasonable on this issue. Yes, forum owners should recognize the rapidly growing use of mobile devices for internet browsing. And mobile users should realize that they won't get the same kind of experience on their phone as they would with a desktop computer. Forums are large and complex and cramming it all down to a tiny size will create issues. It's all about being flexible and having realistic expectations. I mean, are we to be expected to make viewing on a smart watch possible too?

How about some degree of compromise - for example nobody is talking much about tablets, but they are often cellular enabled, easy to carry around, and for the most part have a display large enough for everyone to be satisfied with. Sure, it's less convenient than your phone but it's not that much less convenient.

8. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+744
    It's like I stated in the thread LisaLisa linked.

Mobile compatibility should be given attention equal to the mobile traffic a site gets, at LEAST.

9. The Sandman

+5,161
    Equal attention by the forum software developers, add-on creators, and theme creators you mean? Let's face it, the problem is really one that needs to be solved upstream from the forum admin.

10. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,269
    I think comparing a smart watch is a little different, I mean that isn't made for browsing it's made to answer calls and texts easier as well as a watch with some cool apps. Mobile devices are compact computers that you travel with, I also place talents like iPads under the same category as mobile devices as well they are mobile and they are a device.

I think ignoring mobile users is a big no no, I could have a friend who is into the same thing as me who uses his pc over mobile yet I may say 'oh don't use that site it's rubbish' because form my perspective it is.

11. The Sandman

+5,161
    Well of course mentioneing the smart watch was a bit of a stretch but who knows in future - it might become a thing for browsing. It wasn't too long ago that nobody thought of phones for browsing either.

Tablets are easier to browse with and easier to make usable for complex sites like forums. I wish more people would use them over phones.

12. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+960
    I agree completely...this is an issue that the manufacturers of the devices should be working on.

13. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,124
    Mobile, IMO, is ruining the internet.
    Mobile is fine for things like airline reservations and banking, but IMO it sucks for things like research and shopping.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  14. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,269
    HOW? How is it ruining the internet please enlighten me. Not to sound rude but too many people here are clearly too old fashioned to get with the times and new technology.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Popcorn Popcorn x 1
    • List
  15. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+744
    Agree with MaxxamillionMaxxamillion entirely.

If you don't like or want to use mobile - fine. Nothing wrong with that.

But why resist freedom of choice? How can making information and collaboration more accessible ever be a bad thing?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  16. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+960
    From my perspective, the issue is when a mobile user comes to my site and complains when their device just isn't up to the task. Their attitude is frequently that this is somehow my problem. I think mobile devices have a lot of catching up to do yet. :)

17. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,269
    They clearly just wish to use your site, no? how is that a bad thing? as an admin surely you want to make it available to as many math people as possible

18. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+744
    Well said, and yes.

While there is surely progress to be made, developers ate chipping away at it.

Responsiveness comes out of the box from the bigger companies now.

19. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,124
    See this as a start: https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/20/9002721/the-mobile-web-sucks

A few of my own points...
    • Phones are slower then desktop in most cases, making sites seem slow.
    • Sites are much more limited in what they can give the user as options, mostly due to size limitations.
    • On all of my sites -- mobile users view less pages then desktop/laptop --- this they are finding less information.
    • 9 times out of 10, if a user has a problem with one of my sites, it come back to being that they are on a phone and couldn't find something because of the lack of screen size or low performance of their phone.
    • People tend to say less when they are typing on a mobile device.
    • People tend to search less deep on a mobile device.

I'm not. I use my iPhone and iPad a lot.

I see mobile phones kind of like fast food. Its very convenient and nice to have around, but shouldn't be your primary food source.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  20. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+744
    As I stated in your other topic:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted