Forum Icons

Discussion in 'SMF' started by netridge, Apr 26, 2007.

1. netridge

netridge Enthusiast

+1
    Does anybody know were to get some good icons to use on your forum. I want to remove the default ones and user some other, hopefully better looking icons.

:unhunh:

2. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+411
    I like this topic
    :D
    We tried tons and tons of icon sets that had been made in all kinds of places we found. Finally we gave up and just found cool animated images and had one our our tech dude experts shrink em to fit as teeny tiny icons.
    All our high end icons for highest ranks are all animated while the lower, starter rank ones are non-animated.
    And while our choice may not be for everyone, definitly go looking around at images you like, shrink them down to size and see if it fits your fancy at that size and when a whole bunch of em are together.
    Good luck!

:)

gogo

3. Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann SMF Lead Developer

+39
  4. desibase

desibase Fan

+2
    I would suggest you find some on the internet which have a free license and use them, or you create your own.

5. C_P

C_P Aspirant

+0
    Excellent advice!
    I added icons to my site once and began showing them off only to discover they needed to be licensed. I contacted person directly and apologized and swiftly removed them.
    Always nice to respect the person who spent hours making them and ask first.

6. Orp

Orp ForumsForums.com

+8
    I"m not sure what is considered an 'icon'.
    I have avatars and smilies / emotions. I'm guessing that
    smilies/emotions = icons
    .....but wanted to check to be sure.

How in the heck do you find out if those are copyrighted?

7. motokochan

motokochan Habitué

+19
    Technically, everything is copyrighted, especially in the US where that actually is the case. The key is to check the licensing of the files. Usually this will either be bundled with them, or on the author's site.

8. Catchpen

Catchpen Aspirant

+0
  9. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,007
    Excellent find! I've bookmarked it for future use, thanks. :)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted