Forum Banter

1. Gemma

Gemma Coder/Designer

+173
    Gemma submitted a new Showcase Item:

Forum Banter

Read more about this showcase item here...

2. Gemma

Gemma Coder/Designer

+173
    I've been making some use of the new custom thread fields feature that is available in XF2. This has allowed me to bridge gaps where currently add-ons aren't available or the add-on doesn't do the job I want.

First up, I've created a rather simple recipe book using custom thread fields to list parts of the recipe (how many the meal serves, prep and cooking time, calories etc)

Recipe_-_Chicken_Salad_Forum_Banter_-_2018-04-13_20.50.21.png

And today, after discussions with my admin about purchasing an add-on, I decided to use custom thread fields again for a section on video games. I wanted to have a game listing section, game reviews and tips & guides. Using custom thread fields to gather information and also where the thread author can rate the game up for discussion.

Untitled-1.png Untitled-2.png Untitled-3.png

I also managed to recreate part of my old General Chatter site which I really liked. I use colours heavily throughout sites to easily identify sections for the forums. Now the forum nodes are colour co-ordinated but so is the title bar in the thread listings and the thread itself - along with the individual forum icon. I'm not sure why forum software doesn't allow for this automatically. It makes perfect sense for things to flow like this and makes everything easily identifiable.

Forum_Banter_-_2018-04-28_16.17.06.png AFTER_HOURS_Forum_Banter_-_2018-04-28_16.23.43.png Notorious_Golden_State_Killer_Caught_Forum_Banter_-_2018-04-28_16.24.34.png

3. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,477
    Nicely laid out and very pleasing to the eye. Seems you're really liking XF2! :tup:

4. Gemma

Gemma Coder/Designer

+173
    Yeah, I've not really had much time to play around with it but it is a lot easier to work with than I expected.

Custom Thread Fields are an excellent addition. I can see me implenting them in more areas :)

5. Gemma

Gemma Coder/Designer

+173
    Some small updates applied.

I thought my member profiles looked a bit rubbish, so I decided to give them a wee makeover. Modified the profile header, removed some blurb, replace tabs text with icons and jiggled things around a little. A lot happier with the look now :)

Before
    Before.png

After
    Custom.png

Also tidied up various bits and pieces around the site, one area that I didn't like was polls. It may be due to the style I'm using but polls with numerous choices took up too much space mainly due to the style padding - especially the poll widget, so I've changed things around a little and made them move compact.

pollthread.png pollwidget.png

One new add-on we've added is the Music Thread Starter add-on by Snog - https://xenforo.com/community/resources/music-thread-starter-for-xenforo-2-x.6050/

MUSIC_LIBRARY_Forum_Banter_-_2018-05-15_19.02.42.png

6. The Sandman

+5,477
    Ha - didn't realize there was so much room for improvement until I looked at the before and after shots. Nicely done!

7. The Sandman

+5,477
    And I'm guessing you're the one on the right in the photo?

8. Kirk

Kirk Coder/Designer

+306
    Loving the edits

9. Gemma

Gemma Coder/Designer

+173
    I've been making some small updates over the last day or so, mainly tidying up the appearance of the site and whatnot.

Member profiles have had a little update because I'm now using an alternative addon for profile covers

memberview.png

It is the [TH]Covers addon that also allows you to add covers to threads, like so...

Untitled-1.png

My biggest changes have been to the thread list, the header and layout has been completely changed. I wanted it different but had to compromise due to addon conflicts but here's how it looks for standard XF and also one of Snogs addon (I have 3 all using the same structure)

Untitled-4.png thread list.png thread list snog.png

And how it looks via mobile devices

mobile.png

That's me done until the next time I've free time and I finally decide on a portal layout.

Thanks for looking :)

10. EasyEazy

EasyEazy Participant

+23
    Looks superb GemmaGemma great work.

11. Gemma

Gemma Coder/Designer

+173
    Finished my customizations, two addons still to install (Siropu's Referral Contests and Bob's Pick'em addons) but the layout of the site is now complete. Taken a little longer than planned due to work commitments.

Changed the thread list, user message info, member profiles, member cards, Snog's TV, Movie and Music thread starter addons, forum index page and xenPorta - basically tried to make everything look the way that I want it and for the most part I've achieved that. Some are big changes, some just little tweaks.

Below are some of the layout changes, there are tons more. But I won't bore you anymore ;)

Our featured threads page (xenPorta)
    Untitled-1.png

Thread list
    Untitled-2.png

Member profiles
    Untitled-3.png

Snog's TV & Movie thread starter addons (removed the poster details (member info) from the first post)
    Untitled-4.png Untitled-6.png

Member cards (much easier to read the details and see the "cover" than the default layout)
    Untitled-5.png

Message layout
    Untitled-7.png

12. Gemma

Gemma Coder/Designer

+173
    Finally got around to completing my first ever light coloured theme. It still uses UI.X 2 Dark framework but I've switched out the dark for greys and blues.

light1.png light2.png light3.png

I've also removed the node background images from both styles and gone with Material Design Icons with different opacity levels.

dark.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.