Forum admins what do you put on a resume

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GoingRight, Oct 17, 2019.

1. GoingRight

GoingRight Participant

+17
    If you have linkedin: How do you describe your job title? What industry are you in?

Here is what I think best describes my experience being a forum admin based on Linkedin choices:
    Web Administrator working in Information Technology and Services

Having created and run a forum as a full-time job for the past 5 years, I'm not sure how to market myself as a job candidate. What types of jobs should I look for? What am I qualified to do? Was considering entry level IT help desk to get my foot in the door.

Possible resume details:
    Web-site design and software management
    Moderating and moderator management
    User account management
    Advertising implementation and affiliate sales

Anyone have experience going from full-time forum admin back into the job market?

• Like Like x 1
    • Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  2. Karll

Karll Adherent

+174
    I've never done forum admin full-time or even made more money than I spent - though that wasn't my goal either.

Anyway, I wanted to say that perhaps you'd be a good fit for an online newspaper or other media outlet with an online presence that includes reader comments which obviously require moderation, discussion framing and so on. Perhaps you could also help with more general IT tasks, ideas and advice.

3. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,458
    Website design, development and management

4. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,486
    'Retired Peasant' sums up my resume although ironically I'm far busier now than I ever was when I was working.

To be honest, although I still get income from running sites and forums I've never really considered it a job, more a paid hobby. This thread has got my attention. I suppose I've never until now, considered forum experience to be a vehicle to paid employment. Perhaps I need to reconsider that view.

5. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Administrator

+2,279
    In the USA, there are corporate jobs for "Community Managers", maybe elsewhere as well.

6. Somniloquent

Somniloquent Enthusiast

+119
    Are you good with social media? I see a fair number of job postings for that. (sample listing)

If you write a lot of content for your site, you might try content strategy. (sample listing)

There's also customer support. (sample listing)

Figure out what kinds of jobs interest you, and tailor your resumé to what they're looking for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,083
    In my opinion, the best fit for someone who has run forums for a living would be in customer service or customer support/help desk.

8. pierce

pierce Habitué

+721
    Sys admin
    email deliver-ability expert
    Fluent in PHP my SQL html CSS,
    HR expert
    Accounting experience
    Tax expert
    Customer relationship manager
    Customer expectation manager
    Team leader
    Marketing
    Sales
    Purchaser
    IT acquisition manager
    Closer for deals
    Negotiator
    Product evaluation
    Bug hunter
    Janitor
    Chef
    Canteen staff
    Logistics manager

What else have I don't running a forum for 13 years hmmmm

9. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP TechArena.IN

+19
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.