Forum Ad Blocking Crisis: What YOU can do about it!

By Shawn Gossman · Jul 17, 2016 ·
Rating:
4.77778/5,
  1. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,269
    I measure and my registration rates have not suffered. I don't block the content to those who don't turn off their blocker. What I block is the ability for the blocker to by-pass the whitelist notice.

Measure, measure, measure. And A/B test. And remember that measuring is not simply relying on Google analytics -- since this is blocked by many ad blockers it gives inaccurate data. I use beacons as well as a raw server log analyzer.

2. Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku Fan

+259
    I misunderstood you. What do you use for the whitelist notice?

3. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,269
    I use:

We get it, you don't like ads. But without ad income we can't bring you awesome content. So if you like (your site name) we ask you to consider adding us to your ad blocker allowed sites.​

Obviously, the effectiveness is going to depend on your site's niche, how good the content is, the loyalty of your users, etc.

4. Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku Fan

+259
    Do you use [rellect] AdBlock Detector to display that request?

5. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,269
    I use my own code. Unlike the plug-ins available for various forum software it cannot be easily blocked due to use of class ids which do not repeat from page to page.

6. Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku Fan

+259
    It looks like "Block Element" in ABP blocks your message permanently, just as it does with Rellect.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  7. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,269
    LOL, what you found by snooping around into some very old posts here instead of asking is not the version deployed which refreshes by the page.

The page you saw refreshes the id by the minute, if you wait a minute and refresh the message shows back up.

I am working on paid plugins for the XF and VB versions.

8. Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku Fan

+259
    I didn't snoop here. I went to your Z28 site. On that site, using Block Element seems to make your message go away for good. Or is that not your site?

9. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,269
    You must have dug around as it's not in my profile, and I mentioned it once in a post 3 years ago. Anyway, that is one of nearly a dozen forums I operate (currently, I have sold some others too) and I didn't have my latest code rolled out on that XF site.

10. Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku Fan

+259
    I thought you meant digging around for code. I did click on
    and there it was on Page 1 of 1. Would love to see an example of your latest code at work.

11. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,800
    is using Ghostery a form of adblocking ?

12. Bram

Bram Enthusiast

+45
    Sweet, looking forward to the XF one!

13. Skybound

Skybound Aspirant

+12
    I am not too vocal about adblockers, but it does kind of irk me that these guys have become almost arrogant in deciding in what is acceptable or not on sites that we build.

14. BeyBrad

BeyBrad Adherent

+124
    It's actually the users of ABP (and other adblockers) that decided your ads aren't acceptable, not really the makers themselves. They're just providing a product (regardless of their ideological preaching).

15. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,269
    Not entirely true. The makers extort millions annually from big companies to put their ads on the acceptable list.

16. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    Makes me wonder how comes Google have not been able to get their ads on the list shown They have the money to have done it paying, and they must really hate having their adsense blocked?

17. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,269
    Google's own sites are on the list.

External sites which use Adsense, each of those has to apply individually.

18. Reilly

Reilly Aspirant

+2
    I use an ad blocker and if I one day went to a forum I am a member of and it said oops looks like you are using and ad blocker. We will allow you to view and post on the forum for another 3 days then it will cost you $x.xx per month to view and post I would most likely just pay the fee.

Maybe forum owners may want to consider this option.

19. Digital Phoenix

Digital Phoenix Coffee Ninja

+1,285
    And then there are the hundreds; possibly thousands of users like me that would say nope. Cya.

20. SGT Oddball

SGT Oddball Aspirant

+19
    You would be lucky to cover a monthly cup of coffee with that business model, you could forget about it covering your costs because people would just go elsewhere.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.