forobook ......a bit of all

Discussion in 'Forum Software Development' started by ChrisTERiS, Dec 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    While I was working on forobook, In Omnibus wrote at vborg:
    This is what forobook is. A mix of the best feature that I found in facebook (timeline) with the best forum features (thread view, long threads with pagination etc).

But let's keep calm. This is not for big boards, and will never be. This is not a vB, xF, IPB and will never be. And for sure is not a Facebook. Is a simple script for the average user who wants to operate a small online community.

After making clear what is NOT forobook, let's list some of its features:
    • FB timeline style listing. All posts in one listing
    • Ajax search. With just a few clicks users can filter the posts and see only what they want to see
    • Thread view like in forums but with better interface
    • Many post types. From normal discussions and Media (in Free version), to Reviews, Classifieds, Coupons etc in the PRO version.
    • Responsive design (Bootstrap framework)
    • Smarty PHP template engine for easy customization
    You can get an idea of the design here:
    http://www.forobook.com/demo/

This is a mockup and not the working version. You can click the last 2 icons on the top left to see the Login/Register form and Contact form. You can also click the username ChrisTERiS in the posts to see the profile form. Please note that the profile form is poor in the free version. You can also see the attached screenshop from the thread page.

As I said this version should be free. The PRO version should has extra features, like:
    • Multiuser messaging system (Not chat)
    • More post types (eg Classifieds, Reviews, Coupons etc).
    • Post Likes and Ratings
    • Push notifications
    • ....and all good ideas that you'll suggest :)
    Thank you for your time.
    Chris
    PS: I'm not good on writting, especially when I need to promote something. Maybe I forgot to list some features.

Attached Files:

2. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    I forgot to mention that forobook does not uses any editor at all. Unformated text posts just like facebook.

3. pierce

pierce Habitué

+711
    Layout in mobile isn't perfect. I have not looked at it from a desktop to compare quality of the mock up so forgive me.

Considering you have more and more people here reporting traffic at 80% mobile it should be your only priority.

Posts/threads need to be aligned to a topic or theme.

I'm not interested in Lamborghini cars but love Ferrari but I have a legitimate reason to join a car group

4. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    Do you really liked it? Then I'm going well, as I'm not totally satisfied. eg The top row overlaps the first post. Also the search form (just like my dating script) should be in a sidepanel. Now is on the bottom of the page, so difficult to use. Also there is a big gap every 2 posts. This is because the original version had 3 posts per row. Finaly the modal profile needs some changes. The data touch the photo. Not good. I'm perfectionist and I want even the smallest detail to work perfect.

5. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    .....lol...... Sorry. Just noticed that n't which changes the whole meaning. Yes, I do agree. As I wrote mobile version is not finished yet.

6. pierce

pierce Habitué

+711
    I'd almost focus on a core idea. With good basic mockup.

If people like your idea then they may be interested in working on it.

Getting overly stuck in perfectionist mode will delay progress.

7. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    The code is 100% ready. The problem is that I've it in my Dating script, so I need to separate the code and then adapt it to the new template.
    As for perfectionist this is something that I can't change especially in my age of 60. If I don't like something I'm kicking it out. Have many mods unreleased just because I didn't liked something in the final product.

To understand what I mean by saying "perfectionist" login at https://www.cmsdate.com/demo/ as Admin / admin12345 Is a dating script with Forums and Articles. Everybody says that is very good. But I don't release it because I've fixed the dating pairs only to Men looking Women and Women looking Men. It stays there for exactly a year now.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  8. pierce

pierce Habitué

+711
    All done by yourself??

9. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+633
    like facebook had a lovechild with pinterest.

I like the direction it's headed.

10. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,218
    This site can’t be reached
    www.forobook.com’s server DNS address could not be found.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

11. pierce

pierce Habitué

+711
    dead for me too, was Ok earlier.. obviously as it was working!

12. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    Except some jquery plugins, yes, everything done by myself. I mean the code. I'm not designer. I did mockups and then I hired a designer to do it. But data analysis, code, and interface mockups are mine.

13. Mikey

Mikey mikeylicio.us

+181
    Very nice - I do wonder if it isn't a little hard to navigate - maybe instead of your grid listing, do a traditional timeline view....?

Exciting project, though!!

14. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    Thank you for your feedback and your supporting words. Really appreciated. By saying "timeline view" you most probably mean the standard Facebook style, one item per row and not those found in most jquery plugins with 2 per rows and the vertical date separator. Right?

Well, I must admit that I had many doubts analyzing the usage of this project. eg:
    • Should I use Ajax search or the traditional search with page refresh?
    • Do I need to show 1 per row or more (I started with 3 per row without sidebar)
    • Do I've to include replies below the main post (as is in Facebook) or to use separate page for each thread?
    • ....and some others not so important.
    Finally I decided that, at least the first release to be as is, which means 2 per row and post details in separate page. But I'm talking for the first release. For sure in the Pro version should be a setting where admin can decide how many threads per row to show. Also (per post type) to decide if the thread details should be on the same page, or on a popup, or in a separate page (default).

I want to keep the first version simple. After release, and having a strable version then, I can discuss anything about functionality and/or new features. But please allow me, the first version to be as I've design it in my mind otherwise it will never finish.

15. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    As I'm always giving attention to feedbacks, I think that I'll include in the first version a setting to Admin to decide how many posts he wants per row. I'm attaching an Alpha mockup. The design for single posts should be something like this.
    mf_newlist.png

16. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
  17. Mikey

Mikey mikeylicio.us

+181
    Looks good!

18. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    The heart of forobook is this page:
    https://www.forobook.com/geek/admincp.php?do=forums

If you see carefully the categories, it has everything that an average portal needs. From Articles, Media etc to even Personals and Coupons. Each Administrator can decide which of them will be active on his site or not, depending on his niche.

Top categories are standard (you can only edit them) while subcategories are free for Add, Edit, Delete. Each top category has some useful switchers, eg:
    • Allow Discuss or not (for example in Personals there is no sense to have discuss on)
    • Allow Poll or not
    Also in each top category you can set which template to use for Add/Edit form and Public view. If none specified, the default will be used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.