Fork you, Forum!

Discussion in 'Forum Software Development' started by Shawn Gossman, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,942
    For you fork developers out there... What drives yo to create a forum software by forking a developed forum software? I mean I figure if you can fork a software, you most likely have what it takes to create a forum software from scratch that you can create to your every need. Why start off from an existing platform? :)

2. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,765
    I think there are two main types of people who generally fork existing forum software: Amateurs who want to learn (or in some cases, show off) by working with existing code, and experienced coders who already have a preferred software but want custom features and/or disagree with the direction/management of the existing software.

3. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,129
    My view is that it it's nearly always preferable to starting from zero, because few can be experts at all the aspects of a general script.

- a shallow fork would allow you to passively gain improvements from upstream (security fixes, optimizations, compatibility with upstream's existing addon/theme ecosystem...). Its really about how to balance reliance on existing codebases/premade libraries and inhouse code in order to create solutions specific to your needs. Does your version really have to diverge too far to preserve compatibility ?

- A lot of reusable code from legacy languages can be leveraged as is, even as references for creating clean alternatives in modern languages like node, though it's not really forking if you rewrite functions based on your understanding of the original software's.

4. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+74
    I think it's a lot more interesting to build something yourself than to fork it, as it gives you a lot of valuable knowledge and experience.

There are some software (with millions of users) however where they don't have much customisability and someone forks it literally just to "change a setting". That's a social networking example, but it sort of applies here too.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.