For XF1 or 2 - Popular/Upvoted Content Module (Plan)

ENF

Participant
If someone buys this for v1, then are you giving them a free upgrade for v2? And if so, why? If you have to recode it for v2, then you've made double the work for yourself and you're not seeing any extra income. If you ask people to pay for it twice, then you look like someone who's a bit greedy.

From a customer point of view, I'm not purchasing anything new for V1. I'm just going to wait for V2. I don't want to give myself double the work (configuring add-ons) nor get stuck paying for anything twice. Might be a while, but things are fine as they are...

I understand your point, but we have a business plan to follow and we believe it's better to develop for V1 as-is and create* a V2 version in parallel with further refinement once V1 has been out in the wild for a bit. We're not interested in the revenue of the addon and it will be up to the selected developer on how they want to support it going forward. (paid, free, etc.) If it's one-off project just for us, that's fine too.

Now, I'm drawing up some project documents which we will use to solicit a developer and get some bids the custom work. Still looking for more feedback, all of it is good!

* If the V1 edition falls flat with members, we'll of course just scrap future plans

ENF

Participant
ENF very interesting that you posted this at the time you did, we are doing something similar with TMA 2.2+ :)
Haha, what timing. I debated about whether or not to get some general feedback for awhile before posting what we were thinking of.

Digital Doctor

Tazmanian
upload_2017-4-17_18-6-18.png

LOL.

we are doing something similar
Similar ... how so ?

Here is a thread to discuss TMA.
https://theadminzone.com/threads/turnkey-mobile-apps-for-xenforo.144123/

I think the Reddit-like features would appear on a HomePage only, not in the forum ?

To me, the key to Reddit is the Proper threading (not XF's non-threaded threads) of discussion.
It allows off topic posts to have a life of their own.
It allows stupid posts to pushed down (aka gets rid of troll posting).

Last edited by a moderator:

Mouth

Enthusiast
During a brainstorming session for future expansion, we drew up some plans for a addon function to XF to mimic the basic up vote/down vote or post rating function found on sites like Reddit, Slashdot, etc.

Essentially, on the home page or the forum home page... or maybe admin selectable area of where to make this appear, but generally speaking, a default panel on the forum homepage that lists the most recent upvoted content. (Either global or set from specific forums)
I think you need to make it a page, that admin can set as the home page, or users can make their bookmark (eg. like many do with New Posts).
Upvoting needs more than just an algortihmic decider of most upvoted content to be displayed, as it will 'drown' other unusual content before it's able to make it to the frontpage. I think you need to ensure that upvotes are weighted by how often the votee participates both in creating content and viewing content. I would rather see content creators having their upvotes weighted higher than lurkers whom really step into the light and created content. Exposing your best (and thus most valuable/resourceful content) through upvoting is best done by those that participate and create your community content.

Also, I would hope that this add-on would work against all content, not just forum posts. Resources, Blogs, Articles, Events, Reviews, Showcase, Links Directory, etc, etc. Many of the popular add-ons that are for creating content, outside forums, for our sites.

I think it also goes without saying that weighting of the score associated with an upvote should be manageable by user groups too. Eg. A registered users upvote may have a weighting adjustment of 0.33 applied, whilst a Premium/Paying Member might have an upvote weighting adjustment of 0.75. A registered user that has created over 500 items of content would have their upvote weighting adjustment score increased to 0.5, and a Premium/Paid member with over 200 items would have an upvotie weighting adjustment score of 1.0

Alpha1

Administrator
For logged in users, I think it needs to consider the interests of the member. There is no point in showing posts from a forum node if the member has no interest in that forum.

Some criteria:
  • has the user liked/watched/frequently viewed/posted content in that forum?
  • does the user watch that forum?
  • if profile fields allow for this: has the user listed the forum as a favorite forum?
Upvoted content that also meets one or more criteria should be at the top, so that the feed displays relevant content.

Kintaro

Enthusiast
For logged in users, I think it needs to consider the interests of the member. There is no point in showing posts from a forum node if the member has no interest in that forum.
Absolutely agree!

Digital Doctor

Tazmanian
ENF
What about making your own software ?
Do you have some superior coder lined up for this addon you are thinking about ?

ENF

Participant
ENF
What about making your own software ?
Do you have some superior coder lined up for this addon you are thinking about ?

We are currently in a holding pattern with this, we rolling out some other work that requires our focus right now.
Holding pattern just means it's in the queue and we'll get to this when possible.

To others: Thanks for the continued feedback!