Folding@Home for links?

Discussion in 'Increasing Traffic' started by NerdForum, Mar 10, 2012.

1. NerdForum

NerdForum Adherent

+21
    Has anyone else tried this? I recently started, and thought I might as well kill two birds with one stone, so I set up a team based on my forum. As it's (sorta) relevant to the topic, I'm hoping to get forum members involved too. Since the folding community is pretty large, and the team page gives a free link (though I don't know if anyone will ever see it) I'm hoping to get a bit of advertising done while helping science.

What are your thoughts on this?

• Like Like x 1
  2. engineer1964

engineer1964 hoc foro magna est

+51
    Never heard of a folding Community before???

According to Wiki ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home

whats that all about?

3. NerdForum

NerdForum Adherent

+21
    It's basically making your computer solve math problems to further scientific research. Here's the home page: http://folding.stanford.edu/

4. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. ............

+110
    Thinking outside the box with your link building strategy is what will set you apart from the rest. So well done.

5. Ownaholic

Ownaholic Aspirant

+1
    I think it's a pretty solid idea actually.
    With a custom-built supercomputer, I've yet to actually try F@H, but I have been meaning to.
    I might adopt this myself on my own site.

The only caveat I can think of, however, is that if you don't already have a large board, having an extra empty forum dedicated to the group might be a little off-putting to some visitors.

6. NerdForum

NerdForum Adherent

+21
    I actually don't have a forum dedicated to it, just a single thread.

7. NerdForum

NerdForum Adherent

+21
    As an update, since posting this I've gotten 58 clicks in. Not a massive number, but it's better than nothing.

8. arkueckelhan

arkueckelhan Neophyte

+0
    decent idea. You get the link from the page but don't you will get much SEO benefit aside from that. Supporting a good cause though, and I salute you ;)

9. NerdForum

NerdForum Adherent

+21
    Thanks. :)
    The team actually just made it into the top 10k.

10. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+410
    Danny, what an amazing idea. One of my friends dads has ALS, and the folding@home project is helping do the research with the network.
    We're going to put some time into seeing if we can get our own community into this as well, maybe even put up a banner button... we can do a lot.

This is a great topic, thank you and repped

:)

gogo

11. NerdForum

NerdForum Adherent

+21
    Good luck getting them interested. :)
    Every little bit helps.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted