Flarum Lead Developer Steps Down

Discussion in 'Other' started by MagicalAzareal, Jul 5, 2019.

1. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+113
    • Informative! Informative! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,649
    It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

3. palhanow

palhanow Enthusiast

+97
    XenForo maybe?

4. Russ

Russ Administrator

+1,727
    Nope

5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+613
    Flarum never reached version 1 status in the 5 years of development. Hard to see that as much of an accomplishment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,145
    I'd hope for vbulletin instead. There's enough room for new selfsustaining software but it's a huge gamble to challenge existing software with massive funding like XF/IPB or even puny Nodebb.

Just a well paid leadership position could suffice if Flarum's lead really needed to be compensated accordingly to his fulltime involvement in forum development, and joining a software house in need of fresh blood and products adapted to current trends would be an ideal outcome. Getting only 100$ a month from patreon is literally offputting, when at the very worst following the example of some scriptmakers and running a paid, even expensive SaaS version of your opensource software is more rewarding.

7. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,189
    Flarum ?

Ok, thats a new one on me.

8. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+199
    I've always liked the look and minimalism of Flarum, gets to the point of post content without too many bells and whistles. Looking forward to seeing the commercial platform the developer is going into.

9. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+360
    This is called "banana principle" and is a valid and proven software development model that puts importance on continuously releasing improvements and fixes to users. There's no "1.0" release in this model, because everything's in the game. Some software sidestep this by using dates for releases, and other by going into big numbers (like Chrome).

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. ips_doug

ips_doug Aspirant

+9
    I had never heard of it till now. It looks interesting at a first glance.

11. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,251
    I thought it had a lot of promise, I still do. I'm glad to see the project hasn't been completely abandoned. I hope the remaining developers are able to take it further forward.

12. Gary

Gary Fan

+32
    It's definitely saddening to see Toby leave but I know that I'll want to continue following his new project once it has been announced. He is a talented individual and has done so much with Flarum to bring it to where it is now.

In saying that the current team are a dedicated bunch and have already put plans in place to continue with Flarum's development. No one can replace Toby but we can do our best to continue working on an amazing bit of kit. Flarum is growing and will continue to grow. It works wonders for your community and can be so useful, even as useful or powerful as other forum software on the market.

Don't cross Flarum out just yet. ;)
    I usually post updates and major announcements about Flarum on this forum here at TAZ.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.