Flarum Beta now available

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by zaboca, Aug 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,476
    Yes, VelocityIO and not so much a project, as Jake B. saying I was anti-change when I said I didn't like it. So I threw it up on a test install to prove to him I could give something else a chance. . .still don't like it :D

2. JadeBlade

JadeBlade Adherent

+69
    it's a bit.. lackluster?

I think it has tons of potential, and I am using it for a portal for one of my projects.

What do you think of discourse?

3. Lisa

+8,476
    Bland, boring, vanilla are the words you're looking for.

Hate that too. Although, like Flarum, it does (I think - it's been a while since I last looked at it) have a couple of features I like.

4. JadeBlade

JadeBlade Adherent

+69

Hmm, vanilla would be the right word. It seems to have tons a features I take for granted.

5. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    Still doesn't load topics for me.

6. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    What I read earlier said from Mike Creuzer posted on XFUniverse was a good point. A lot of us are from vBulletin 2 and 3 days and more used to the traditional forum layout. But what about the new younger generation of future forum owners coming on web who don't have that same dated outlook, not something they're familiar with. So wonder if they might actually see forum software like Flarum as looking far more up-to-date. What they might prefer to use instead of XenForo, IPB or WBB.

Just thought he made a good point really about that: https://www.xfuniverse.com/threads/flarum.2285/#post-17489

7. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+250
    I couldn't even get it to install for me, oh well ill keep trying I guess.

I just want to try something different for once rather then traditional forum type website.

Personally I am not a fan, but I guess as others have said maybe the younger generation like it.. lol

8. jekyll

jekyll Enthusiast

+70
    It is a clear "WTF". Inventing a "modern UI" just for the sake of being whatever some weirdo thought was "modern", ending up as another wannabe Vanilla. It makes me sad that a really good forum software had to die for that.

9. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,806
    FluxBB was one of the better "bare bones" forum options out there, and even esoTalk looked like it had promise back when it first showed up (it was actually a step towards modernization of forums IMO). Now look at what we got... yet another over-JavaScripty, Bootstrap-esque, unholy amalgamation of forum software and Twitter. Yay!

If this is "modern" forum software design, then I am very, very proud to be old school.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  10. cornnfedd

+250
    lol I agree with you, put it this way I struggle to use it and navigate around and find what I want...

11. rMBP

rMBP Participant

+26
    How do you find it a struggle to navigate?
    It seems pretty simple to me.

12. jekyll

jekyll Enthusiast

+70
    Oversimplification has never solved problems.

13. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,806

Definitely wasn't perfect, but I still think that that vision had more promise than Flarum (and Discourse).

I actually showed Discourse to one of my friends a while back, his first reaction was to say that he thought it looked "clean and modern" or something along those lines... then I linked him to a long-ish thread in Discourse, and oh yeah, that changed his tune real quick!

Personally, I don't think that the issue with Flarum or Discourse is site navigation... the issue is thread navigation. Threads are honestly a complete mess, they have no pagination, they have tons of visual clutter and both of them seem to include moderation notices in the post flow for some reason. Discourse is certainly a worse offender IMO, but Flarum isn't really that much better.

14. Brad

Brad Meh

+1,267
    This is the problem with a lot of software now, reinventing things just for the sake of it.

When you look at forums and what came before them you see a lot of changes but what you don't see is much deviation from the way threads work. BBS systems, mailing lists, and forums all shared this similar layout where threads contained messages that were ordered by date with either the newest or oldest post showing up first for a new reader.

Lately there has been a push to change the UI of just about everything. From the OS to the web you can clearly see this trend of just changing established UIs in favor of new ones. The argument is always "it's easier for new/young users" but what most forget is if a long term user finds it baffling how's he supposed to guide a newbie? If you have to re-train yourself to run your OS, or your text editor, or how your email works you're going to become frustrated before you even get a chance to help anyone else.

There are a lot of positives that come out of accepted standards and familiarity with how the software works. Trying something new shouldn't be discouraged but if it simply doesn't work it's best to work at it and attempt to make it more familiar to the end user. Just like everything else you try a bunch of stuff and stick with what works.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045

Don't think it's just for the sake of it. These new forum design ideas have come about mainly because it has been noticed that forums in general are dying and not being used as much anymore. They think forums needs updating, refreshing, revamping into something slightly different these days to try and get more interest going back into using forums.

16. jekyll

jekyll Enthusiast

+70
    The reason for the decline of forums is not that they don't look like whatever Twitter's UI monkeys barf out every second week.

17. Lisa

+8,476
    There is an option in Flarum that really does seem to be just for the sake of it.

If you go to their main site, go to this post (for example purposes) http://discuss.flarum.org/d/558-flarum-beta-is-here/27 and move over the name that's being tagged . . . if you have the page open correctly (to show the post by the person being quoted) watch what happens to the post.

flarum quote.png

Some first impressions might be "hey, that's pretty neat". . . but mine was "that's pretty pointless". What if you can't even see the post of the person being quoted, why bother adding that functioin.

• List
  18. cornnfedd

+250
    I agree with all the UI changes of late (as in the last few years) and Windows 8 was a classic for me. I remember buying it and installing for work, now I am reasonably IT savvy but had to call IT cause I couldnt work out how to open my email. Our IT made some laughs and said I should have got Windows 7 instead. This was the original W8 no the updated one after that..

My still find flarum difficult to navigate around topics in particular when Im in a thread.

• List
  19. Tatl

Tatl Developer

+15
    Love it.

20. rMBP

rMBP Participant

+26
    Maybe you should've tried that, first.

What happens when the post is out of view:
    ai.imgur.com_8RpZRGY.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.