Fixing someone else's computer

Discussion in 'Internet and Technology' started by fixer, Apr 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,020
    Indeed misread that part, going for the 1TB myself end of the year i want 2 others maybe 3 so i have 4TB M.2. I want to do 4k editing and want fast system, plus side is that the games i play will work great.

2. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+825
    @TAZadmin be like...

8DD99B45-6439-4431-965B-2C8732C0021F.gif

3. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+909
    They actually be like, "Finally some useful information in that thread!

I'm loving the build your own computer tech talk and am taking notes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+951
    Just to keep on the original track, I also like Malware Bytes. It's my second favourite de-infecting tool. Number one, of course, is Fdisk. Nothing can stand up to it.

I'm curious about that choice, as I'm just starting to think about rebuilding my windoze game machine. I can't think of a good reason to spend the extra money on an i9.

5. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+788
    What does this $400 workstation card do better/faster and in what programs compared to a more mainstream normal graphics card for your work flow?

6. we_are_borg

+2,020
    Go to youtube and search for Linus Tech Tips and look for the I9 test. That thing is a beast it runs fast for everything but you cant go wrong with an I7 8700k because the price of I9 is 100 euro more and the motherboard is also more expensive.

7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+590
    Quadro cards are one of the very few cards that can output true 10-bit color and because of that, are better at photo and video editing than Radeons and other high end gaming cards. 'Course, you need a high-end monitor to take advantage of that, which I do. I'm not a gamer, I'm a photographer and would like to also try my hand at video editing. I don't buy stuff based on price. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I would rather save and buy high quality than buy now at lower prices. Milk is different - even the cheap stuff is the good stuff. Sometimes the cheaper gear is better than the higher-priced gear, like the Intel i7 8700 over the i9 9900. Unless you're a gamer. I'm not.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  8. we_are_borg

+2,020
    My plan has changed the 1060 i wanted is eol so i am going for GeForce RTX™ 2060 OC 6G.

9. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+951
    I'm familiar with the channel (He's a good Canadian lad) and I agree the i9 is a monster. That's why my question. Unless you're doing some serious data mining or other CPU intensive work, the i9 seems like expensive overkill. It also limit's your motherboard choices, and increases that cost. I'm a big fan of overbuilding, especially for a gaming computer, and 100 (euro/dollars) either way isn't a big deal. However, I also like to put the money where it provides the most value. For instance, I'd rather spend a bit more and go for the Nvidia RTX 2070 video card. I've always found the 70 series cards provide the best value for performance.

10. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+788
    What's the deal with the RTX cards gettings bad reviews for cards failing? Seems a lot of people have had problems. Was it just the initial batch?

11. we_are_borg

+2,020
    The I9 is only 100 euro more and for 4k editing its worth it, but i wanted a special motherboard that is a bit more expensive like 300 more but i still need to do a side by side comparison because i want more M.2 slots. Its also i want to buy now but when i am ready i look for the good deals and shift budget maybe better graphics card or better x and so on.

As far as i know the first batch was bad haven't heard anymore about it.

12. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+951
    I put that down to the usual failings that happen when they put out a new architecture. The early adopters get to be the guinea pigs and find all the flaws.

13. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,060
    Having seen one taken apart I was amazed at the amount of circuity contained on the card...

rtx.jpg

The failures appear to be due to the Macron memory chips surrounding the GPU. It seems they are unable to run at stock speeds. Recent cards come fitted with Samsung memory. Under-clocking the memory usually provides a fix with little or no loss of FPS. One review I saw attempted to measure the memory temperatures which didn't exceed 80 degrees so it's hard to pin down the exact nature of the fault.

• Informative! Informative! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.