Fixing someone else's computer

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
Just to keep on the original track, I also like Malware Bytes. It's my second favourite de-infecting tool. Number one, of course, is Fdisk. Nothing can stand up to it.

Intel Core i9-9900K Boxed
I'm curious about that choice, as I'm just starting to think about rebuilding my windoze game machine. I can't think of a good reason to spend the extra money on an i9.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
Just to keep on the original track, I also like Malware Bytes. It's my second favourite de-infecting tool. Number one, of course, is Fdisk. Nothing can stand up to it.

I'm curious about that choice, as I'm just starting to think about rebuilding my windoze game machine. I can't think of a good reason to spend the extra money on an i9.

Go to youtube and search for Linus Tech Tips and look for the I9 test. That thing is a beast it runs fast for everything but you cant go wrong with an I7 8700k because the price of I9 is 100 euro more and the motherboard is also more expensive.

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen
What does this $400 workstation card do better/faster and in what programs compared to a more mainstream normal graphics card for your work flow?
Quadro cards are one of the very few cards that can output true 10-bit color and because of that, are better at photo and video editing than Radeons and other high end gaming cards. 'Course, you need a high-end monitor to take advantage of that, which I do. I'm not a gamer, I'm a photographer and would like to also try my hand at video editing. I don't buy stuff based on price. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I would rather save and buy high quality than buy now at lower prices. Milk is different - even the cheap stuff is the good stuff. Sometimes the cheaper gear is better than the higher-priced gear, like the Intel i7 8700 over the i9 9900. Unless you're a gamer. I'm not.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
My plan has changed the 1060 i wanted is eol so i am going for GeForce RTX™ 2060 OC 6G.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
Go to youtube and search for Linus Tech Tips and look for the I9 test. That thing is a beast it runs fast for everything but you cant go wrong with an I7 8700k because the price of I9 is 100 euro more and the motherboard is also more expensive.
I'm familiar with the channel (He's a good Canadian lad) and I agree the i9 is a monster. That's why my question. Unless you're doing some serious data mining or other CPU intensive work, the i9 seems like expensive overkill. It also limit's your motherboard choices, and increases that cost. I'm a big fan of overbuilding, especially for a gaming computer, and 100 (euro/dollars) either way isn't a big deal. However, I also like to put the money where it provides the most value. For instance, I'd rather spend a bit more and go for the Nvidia RTX 2070 video card. I've always found the 70 series cards provide the best value for performance.

R0binHood

Habitué
What's the deal with the RTX cards gettings bad reviews for cards failing? Seems a lot of people have had problems. Was it just the initial batch?

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
I'm familiar with the channel (He's a good Canadian lad) and I agree the i9 is a monster. That's why my question. Unless you're doing some serious data mining or other CPU intensive work, the i9 seems like expensive overkill. It also limit's your motherboard choices, and increases that cost. I'm a big fan of overbuilding, especially for a gaming computer, and 100 (euro/dollars) either way isn't a big deal. However, I also like to put the money where it provides the most value. For instance, I'd rather spend a bit more and go for the Nvidia RTX 2070 video card. I've always found the 70 series cards provide the best value for performance.

The I9 is only 100 euro more and for 4k editing its worth it, but i wanted a special motherboard that is a bit more expensive like 300 more but i still need to do a side by side comparison because i want more M.2 slots. Its also i want to buy now but when i am ready i look for the good deals and shift budget maybe better graphics card or better x and so on.

What's the deal with the RTX cards gettings bad reviews for cards failing? Seems a lot of people have had problems. Was it just the initial batch?

As far as i know the first batch was bad haven't heard anymore about it.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
I put that down to the usual failings that happen when they put out a new architecture. The early adopters get to be the guinea pigs and find all the flaws.

zappaDPJ

Having seen one taken apart I was amazed at the amount of circuity contained on the card...

rtx.jpg

The failures appear to be due to the Macron memory chips surrounding the GPU. It seems they are unable to run at stock speeds. Recent cards come fitted with Samsung memory. Under-clocking the memory usually provides a fix with little or no loss of FPS. One review I saw attempted to measure the memory temperatures which didn't exceed 80 degrees so it's hard to pin down the exact nature of the fault.

sanction9

Adherent
Mac's do get viruses/malware, despite what some people might think, but they're just not targeted as much because not nearly as many people use them as use PC's. Desktop market: 75%+ of market uses Windows, approx. 10% use Apple. But a few random examples, picked at random from a quick Google search:

• Flashback malware - Infected over 600,000 Mac computers in April 2012; designed to steal user's personal information, including account login credentials.
  • OSX/KitM.A virus - Infected a small number of Mac computers in May 2013; designed to take screenshots of a user's desktop and upload to one of several websites.
  • OSX.PROTON - Infected thousands of Mac computers in 2017; designed to steal user's account credentials by accessing the macOS KeyChain app.
  • OSX/MaMi - Infected several thousand or more Mac computers in January 2018; designed to allow a person to view a computer's Internet traffic, also called "snooping."

mysiteguy

Fanatic

R0binHood

Habitué
You might have missed the part where I said "1TB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2." But I also intend to boost my 5TB data HDD with Intel Optane M.2.

I just finished a build with M.2 NVME drives, the 970 Evo Plus in conjunction with an 8700k

Holy smokes are they fast! Boots to desktop in less than 10 seconds, and absolutely rips through 3GB Photoshop files too - loads in 6 seconds in an open PS instance.

It's great being able to tell Photoshop it can use up to 50GB in a 64GB system :D

Managed to get a pretty decent 30% overclock on the stock 3.7Ghz 8700k, bumping it up to 4.8Ghz. The temps are high though, pushing mid to high 90's in Prime 95, although it seems stable. All the same I'm going to try my hand a delidding it and putting some liquid metal on the silicon. People are saying they can easily knock 20 degrees off by doing that alone.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
I just finished a build with M.2 NVME drives, the 970 Evo Plus in conjunction with an 8700k

Holy smokes are they fast! Boots to desktop in less than 10 seconds, and absolutely rips through 3GB Photoshop files too - loads in 6 seconds in an open PS instance.

It's great being able to tell Photoshop it can use up to 50GB in a 64GB system :D

Managed to get a pretty decent 30% overclock on the stock 3.7Ghz 8700k, bumping it up to 4.8Ghz. The temps are high though, pushing mid to high 90's in Prime 95, although it seems stable. All the same I'm going to try my hand a delidding it and putting some liquid metal on the silicon. People are saying they can easily knock 20 degrees off by doing that alone.

giphy.gif

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen

I'm looking forward to exactly that scenario, except my libraries will be on a WD 5TB HDD and sped up with the Intel 32GB Optane Memory as cache.

I'm old (nearing 70) and move kinda slow, so I've decided to forego any O/C, even keeping with 2666MHz RAM (64GB). If I were a gamer, it might be different. But my understanding is that liquid cooling isn't all it's cracked up to be in the overall performance arena. While it's true you can get very cool temps, a high quality CPU air cooler will be as cool or even cooler. And quieter. And cheaper. Here's a video I watched recently that validated what I already knew:

NERRRRRD!
We're everywhere, man.

R0binHood

Habitué
I'm old (nearing 70) and move kinda slow, so I've decided to forego any O/C, even keeping with 2666MHz RAM (64GB). If I were a gamer, it might be different. But my understanding is that liquid cooling isn't all it's cracked up to be in the overall performance arena. While it's true you can get very cool temps, a high quality CPU air cooler will be as cool or even cooler. And quieter. And cheaper. Here's a video I watched recently that validated what I already knew:

Good vid. Likewise, I've never been sold on AIOs. With the extra sound of the pump and the chance of failure on the pump it's never really made sense to me.

I'd only go watercooling if I was blowing a big budget and wanted PC that's also an art piece and go with a completely custom loop.

The Notcua coolers are my favourite. They are so easy to fit, which is a blessing once you've ever tried to fit one that's a pain.

I used the Noctua NH-U14S for the overclock above. It's expensive for a heatsink cooler compared to the budget ones, but good value when you take into consideration the performance, sound and ease to fit.

Honestly, overclocking is so easy on the newer motherboards with an 8700k with the amount of guides online, if you mobo allows it, you could easily bump it up 0.5 - 1.Ghz with no trouble for a decent 14 - 27% performance bump, which the Adobe Suite will still take advantage of.

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen
Honestly, overclocking is so easy on the newer motherboards with an 8700k with the amount of guides online, if you mobo allows it, you could easily bump it up 0.5 - 1.Ghz with no trouble for a decent 14 - 27% performance bump, which the Adobe Suite will still take advantage of.
No, I'm good.