Fixing someone else's computer

Discussion in 'Internet and Technology' started by fixer, Apr 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,016
    Had a client ask me to come to his shop and fix one of his computers , no problem

went there after work today and just got home

computer had mcafee and norton both installed

both said up to date but were not signed in, why the hell would they program their software like that it gives people a false sense of security

i uninstalled mcafee and updated norton (he has 10 licenses) ran it and it didn't find anything

windows defender was off, turned it on and updated and ran it and nothing

installed a free anti-malware program and it found 3 issues connected to chrome browser extensions

then i found windows update was off so i turned it on and updated..

at this point the damn computer has restarted itself no less than 5 times

windows 7 machine

what was happening was every 3rd webpage an ad would show up on sites that didn't have ads so it was like a browser hijack or something going on

i cleaned everything and it still happened...

i had to uninstall chrome and reinstall it

seems to be good now, 2 hours of my life ill never get back

reminds me why i love my mac and i have no antivirus no defender no 3rd party browsers no restarting every 10 mins for bs

Microsoft has excel thats it excel is the most amazing program i have ever used everything else is crap

/end

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+617
    I also have no antivirus because Windows Defender works quite well. I have 3 browsers because I check my code in them to see if there's any problems, but all of my browsers are "off the shelf." Macs suck, long live Microsoft Windows (first computer I ever used was a Mac Powerbook; bought a PC a week later, never looked back).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,016
    Mac has built in emulators for all major browsers and even screen sizes and resolutions, You can toggle between each in seconds and see what your site will look like in multiple different situations ... even phone orientation

4. Jim McClain

+617
    That's not anything a PC couldn't accomplish. Macs don't have anything I want.

5. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+953
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  6. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,016
    What year you talking here? 1980’s?

7. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+953
  8. Jim McClain

+617
    For the whole statement you quoted? Or when I had the Powerbook? 1992 - present.

9. salem

salem Adherent

+84
    That's normally caused by a browser extension .

10. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,220
    You're either being naive or willfully ignoring the numerous malware and security issues that have recently come up with the Mac. The Mac, at one of the major hack events, showed more security vulnerabilities than both Windows 10 and Linux. Remember the one where you could gain root access simply by typing root several times at an admin prompt? Real secure... not. The only thing saving you isn't Mac's security, but that it's not nearly as big a target as Windows is.

If I want to:
    - Ditch my cables and external hardware every few years because the hardware vendor abandons them.
    - Worry about systems with RAM soldered in (what is this, a Commodore 64?)
    - Cases glued to prevent people from performing upgrades themselves.
    - Not the best specs for their laptops.
    - Overheating problems.
    - The past several years seeing many serious security and application bugs on the Mac.
    - Overpriced hardware that even after being out for 2-3 years see no price drops.
    - Faulty keyboards.

... then I'll "think different" and buy a Mac.

I remember in 2017 with all the numerous bugs and security flaws revealed, Apple fan/support sites saying this would not be the new normal for Apple. Sadly, in 2019, it still is. Apple has quite simply gone downhill since Job's departure. They are moving back towards the very things he rescued them from: too many product models, too many hardware flaws, less impressive new products, and less attention paid to software quality. There's a good reason they've lost nearly half their market value, and have stopped giving out production numbers.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,279
    I think price is another factor. I was cautiously happy to pay a premium for an iPhone 4, SE and early iPad because at the time they all offered impressive features. My perception is that has changed. The wow factor has gone but the prices keep increasing.

12. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,016
    sell a pc a year after you buy it and your lucky to get 50% of what you paid

i can sell a 5 year old mac for 75% of its original cost

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,141
    For the price a Mac costs I can build a PC that'll smoke it and still retain its value without doubt.

I've considered a Mac for design and programming but it's hard to shell out the money they cost. Windows is just to easy to get along with so I doubt I'll ever own a Mac anytime soon.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,220
    2018 model used 13" Macbooks are selling at half the cost of their original retail on Ebay and various Mac reselling sites. Used 2018 15", I'm seeing for about $1000 off original retail.

15. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,016
    so how do i remove chrome like totally remove it because the issue is still there

i need a fresh install where it forgets bookmarks and everything

is there a registry purge?

16. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,220
    In the uninstall program, click "Also delete your browsing data"

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  17. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,016
    maybe ill install safari for him

18. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,220
    I assume then, you don't like him?

19. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,183
    Especially since Safari for Windows has been sunsetted for years and isn't even close to being able to display any modern website.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,016
    installed firefox all is well

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.