Finally an advanced Article Management System for XenForo

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
Even then it's not a good idea to run in constant debug.

I know but when i test my install i always limit it to my own IP address. There is an add-on that lets you turn debug mode on or off from admin panel that would be better to have.

esquire

Habitué
Or limit it to one ip address thats working on it.
Thanks guys. I had set debugging mode limited to my IP address to my home and office.
It's sizable sum. You get two years and it's without a doubt one of the best apps released for Xenforo in years.
The addon is years worth of work in process and the optimizations so granular that I'm amazed every time I stumble and it requires Bob telling me that I'm not looking in the right place for YA precise setting. I greatly appreciate Bob's welcoming me to the group of people using and helping influence the direction of the product. I also send a thanks to Alfa1 and we_are_borg for being of great assistance along the way as well. I plan to be launching something next week that will make even better use of the AMS and, by June, hopefully create an addon that will take it to the next level. Thanks to others for their kind words about my site and the Article Management System. I was particular glad that the Author profile area came out so nicely.

While I know there are updates to core XF, the AMS and Showcase are so central to my sites that I wouldn't consider there being many benefits in upgrading over what I have right now in upgrading at the expense of these two addons completing the holy trinity. If it works, don't fix it.

tomk

Adherent
Thanks guys. I had set debugging mode limited to my IP address to my home and office.

The addon is years worth of work in process and the optimizations so granular that I'm amazed every time I stumble and it requires Bob telling me that I'm not looking in the right place for YA precise setting. I greatly appreciate Bob's welcoming me to the group of people using and helping influence the direction of the product. I also send a thanks to Alfa1 and we_are_borg for being of great assistance along the way as well. I plan to be launching something next week that will make even better use of the AMS and, by June, hopefully create an addon that will take it to the next level. Thanks to others for their kind words about my site and the Article Management System. I was particular glad that the Author profile area came out so nicely.

While I know there are updates to core XF, the AMS and Showcase are so central to my sites that I wouldn't consider there being many benefits in upgrading over what I have right now in upgrading at the expense of these two addons completing the holy trinity. If it works, don't fix it.

WOW! When did you switch from IPB to XenForo? The site looks amazing is is much, much faster than it used to be! Good job!

Somniloquent

Enthusiast
We're just starting to use it for our tutorials section. Feedback so far has been very positive. People like the tile view, and the option to convert a thread to an article is very handy.

The only issues we had were that members wanted the 'next' link to be styled like a button, and they needed the table of contents bar to be more obvious:

Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 4.26.27 PM.png

Alpha1

Administrator
Just ask bob on xenaddons.com
I'm sure he will post a tutorial on how to expand the table of contents.

Somniloquent

Enthusiast
Alfa1 We just restyled it as above, and we use the sidebar widget that has it expanded. People missed the sidebar though, since it's not as obvious on mobile. Our users need everything to be very, very obvious, which I know Bob finds to be overkill sometimes. (I don't blame him!)

ProWeb

Enthusiast
I've been really enjoying this thread and am VERY excited about this articles addon!

I don't have much experience with Bob's other addon: "Showcase", but the reviews are stellar and from what I've seen, it's an amazing addon.

I have a very large site that I'm contemplating converting to XF. It has both articles and reviews/ratings and I need an excellent solutions for both.

My question is: What are the key differences between "Showcase" and "AMS"?

Originally, I was thinking they'd be totally different, but while looking into examples of sites running one or the other, there seems to be a LOT of similar functionality... even to the point where I'm not sure what the biggest differences would be?

For example, these two items look extremely similar to me in functionality:

This "Showcase" post: http://www.yumforum.com/index/77/
This "AMS" post: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/ams/replacing-package-tray.102/

From a high-level, it seems like AMS could be used to showcase items, and "Showcase" could be used for articles?

Both look amazing, but I'm trying to determine if one or both would fit my needs.

Thanks!

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
Article Management System (AMS) and Showcase are very like but still completely different. AMS is based on articles and if needed multiple pages, from a writing point of view AMS is much better in this then Showcase but both can do a lot. What Showcase can't do is schedule publishing for example. Both add-ons has custom fields so if its not standard you make a field yourself, you can even self place it (very advanced feature to learn but very powerful).

But why not ask Bob http://www.xenaddons.com maybe he can help you out.

ProWeb

Enthusiast
Thanks we_are_borg ! I'll definitely be interested in picking Bob's brain, but want to gather as much info as possible before I bug him with (seemingly) dumb questions.

The more I look at this, the more I think I might be able to use Showcase for both my ratings/reviews AND my articles.

I think I'll spend some time listing out the EXACT features and data bits I need to convert and see if / where there's a match.

Alpha1

Administrator
There is a lot that AMS can do that Showcase cannot do. For example defining the source & original author of an article, multi-page articles, drafts, 'about author' block (doesn't show for copied articles), etc.

Apple

Enthusiast
We are using this add-on as well. It's not public yet since we're testing it and making sure that the staff have a chance to play around with it first. I did come across something that I just can't solve. When I converted a thread to an article, I couldn't set a cover image for that article, yet I see the option on threads that other admins converted. Does anyone know why this is and if I can fix it?

Apple

Enthusiast
Ah, I can't sign up there since I'm not the license holder. :)

EDIT: figured it out. Thank you ^^