Final nails in the vB3/4 coffins.

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Paul M, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,699
    For a few weeks now the vb3 & vb4 forums at vb.com have been displaying these messages ;

However, having logged in for the first time in a couple of weeks, I saw the final nails posted as well.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/node/4383928

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/node/4383927

• Informative! Informative! x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Will_Watts

Will_Watts Habitué

+456
    Out of curiosity, do you know if vB are still willing to support vB4 for security patches if a vulnerability is disclosed?

3. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,736
    End of Life means End of Life.

4. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,699
    Since it states this, I would think so, on the latest version(s) only.

5. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+1,900
    I dont think there's reason for alarm.
    Vb3 and vb4's marketshare will force vBS to keep supporting them, since vb5 isnt a viable upgrade path for most.

I wonder if dropping support for those versions wont stimulate migrations to other scripts, instead of paid upgrades.

6. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,157

vB has itself in a box I predicted some time ago.

vb 3 & 4 are EOL --- and the company will make zero money by supporting them, in fact it will cost them money to continue to do so.

vb 5 isn't selling and most 3&4 users do not see vb 5 as a viable upgrade path

vb 6 is non existent as far as I know.

So basically, vb 3&4 users have nowhere to go except other scripts.

On a business level, vB has a decision to make. Either develop a vb 6 that vb 3&4 users are willing to upgrade to, or... Close up shop.

Its really that simple.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  7. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,699
    Even if vB3/4 users are happy to keep running what they have - they are eventually going to have issues unless they run their own servers.
    The software doesnt support php 7.2 onwards - and as time goes by, hosts will begin migrating to this.

IMO, you wont see a vB6 unless they just relabel it for marketing purposes (basically what they are doing for vB5)
    There was no real logic or reason to move from 5.2.x to 5.3.x (or to 5.4.x which likely due in early 2018).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  8. Joeychgo

+3,157
    Certainly... But regardless, my point was - IB is making zero money off those people as they are not buying new licenses.

My point was - if they don't make a vb 6 people like, the company is done, just a matter of time.

9. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,699
    I dont disagree with either, I think they are on borrowed time, and have been for a while - only cloud is keeping them afloat.

10. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,175
    Rather unsurprisingly I guess vbulletin.org also seems to have had its day with only 34 posts in the last month.

vb_org.jpg

11. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+192
    I certainly wouldn't base a new forum on any version of vBulletin.

But then again, forums in general seem to be generally declining. That doesn't bode well for the future of forum software as a group, and since I suspect the majority of forum owners would put vBulletin at the bottom of the list of platforms, yes I don't see much of a future for vBulletin at all.

12. LeadCrow

+1,900
    There was always a way out of this bind. If inhouse talent cant produce a proper script and in a reasonable timeframe, acquiring an existing (or established) one alongside its team wouldve provided IB its 'vb6' in as little time as a rebranding could take.

It's understandably too risky to fund a development team for years without guarantees of results being up to expected norms after all. With vb's top talent lost, they must not have confidence even trying.

13. cellarius

cellarius Aspirant

+35
    Honestly, from the very beginneng, I don't think talent was ever the main issue. IB bought extraordinary talent when they took over, and they had some talented coders along the way. It is a very long chain of poor management decisions that has put an end to vBulletin. It started bad, and went only downhill from there.

14. LeadCrow

+1,900
    Just getting a project lead of the acabit of kier or scott mcvicar wouldve likely reversed the company's fortune in every way.

Talent helps get result quicker and more efficiently cost-wise. For sure it needed to be retained and empowered, not just 'acquired' and tasked to defend absurd policies and pricing noone ever reviews or properly researched in the first place.

15. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+658
    indeed, just more motivation for those folks to switch forum software :)

16. cellarius

cellarius Aspirant

+35
    Exactly. The second part is key, in my opinion. That's where IB failed, and would always have failed no matter what talent they had gotten on board. And will always fail. At this point, I'm not sure if they even want vB to succeed anymore. It seems to be more something of a "let's milk the last drops until it dries up" kind of approach by now.

17. LeadCrow

+1,900
    IB might have pondered at some time to branch the forum development business into classic webhosting. Webhosting in general provides longer-term, more significant passive revenue compared to selling scripts and addons.

vbCloud could've been a selling point, but clients using any script they wish (including vb3/vb4) would work better. Many forum developpers run their own hosted/SaaS hosting service, so this suggests demand for that does exist and is still an untapped market other vendors like XF can still expand into.

18. R0binHood

R0binHood Adherent

+151
    IB should just acquire XF so XF 2.0 can be rebranded to VB6, then we start the cycle again, rinse and repeat ;)

19. Joeychgo

+3,157
    I blame this on Facebook. Its very easy to start a FB group - and the people who do start groups, aren't really aware of the benefits of making a forum instead either personally or for the community they are looking to start.

20. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,699
    FB Groups are awful, once you have more than a handful of members posting, its damn near impossible to follow what is going on.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted