On my board, I've observed an increasing reluctance towards creating new threads. Members appear to prefer posting in a few mega threads with vague scopes rather than have more structured discussions in threads with clearer and more limited scopes.
I think they're afraid of a couple of things:
- That no-one is going to respond to the thread - OMG the shame!
- That they're going to post the thread in the wrong forum, and maybe someone will point this out to them, maybe even a moderator will move it - OMG the shame!
- What is the thread title going to be? OMG, panic attack!
- I really just want to share this link, but if I need to create a new thread, then maybe I need to state my own thoughts and opinions as well? OMG, that's too much to ask.
- Mobile phones are cool, but fiddly, especially to an ageing demographic. They don't lend themselves easily to...
I've seen many threads with complains about not having good mobile apps for forums. But here is a question. Is forum actually suitable for mobile?
It takes some thoughts and time to start a good forum thread. It also takes some time to read through posts and add a good post with high quality. It makes forums a good source of knowledge. But it seems it's more suitable for desktop.
If there a good mobile app for a forum, would that make users only click "up" and "down" buttons and create 100-character threads and posts? Would that ruin forums or change its format?
What's your opinion on this? Does anyone has any data?
Page 1 of 2