Favorite Xenforo 2 Add-Ons

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Morg22, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Morg22

Morg22 Aspirant

+26
    I did a search first to make sure I wasn't doing a duplicate post, but if there is a recent post on this please feel free to delete this.

I am in the process of migrating from VB5 to Xenforo 2.1.3 and I wanted to know what some of your favorite Xenforo add-ons are. We used quote a few mods in our VB4 forum and as many as we could in our VB5 (VB5 mods are quite limited).

We want to really customize our forum and make it an amazing end user experience. I also wanted to know if add-ons bog down Xenforo like mods/plugins sometimes did with Vbulletin.

Thanks!

2. hurricane_sh

hurricane_sh Participant

+17
    Stay away from non-official addons if you can, or develop your own addons if necessary. You don't want to be stuck in an old version with out-dated addons.

3. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,079
    Well I've always liked the money systems you can get for these forums myself. Currently using that Dragonbyte Credits setup with a fictional item shop, and it works pretty well as a way to incentivise people to post on the forum/do various other things there.

(Though I do wish the user shops system still existed. Loads of members liked messing around with that).

s9e MediaSites works well too. Adds a ton of different media embed options, and it's constantly updated to keep it up to date with all those new media/video hosting/streaming sites going online and offline over the years.

Oh, and the forum icon add ons (like XFA Nodes Icon Tweak). Always found it looked better to have different icons for different sections, and still wonder why it took forum makers so long to take notice of this feature overall.

So yeah, those are some of my suggestions.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  4. Morg22

Morg22 Aspirant

+26
    Definitely! I would never use an add-on from a non-official source, but thank you for the reminder.

Thank you!

5. Dan18

Dan18 Fan

+263
    So your only option is XMG, XRM, XES.

6. TheTourVan

TheTourVan Aspirant

+20
    Anybody use an add on for better Private Messaging system or "Conversations"?

7. Vekseid

Vekseid Participant

+19
    I wrote my own. It has a lot of the same functionality as Xon 's Conversation Essentials, but I needed it done before he had ported his to 2.0. I also can't use his Conversation Improvements addon as it results in a >120GB index (my members go nuts over PMs). My database SSD is only 240 gigs so I couldn't even alter the table in such a case.

8. Xon

Xon Adherent

+447
    Conversation Improvements (free) add-on
    Conversation Essentials (paid) add-on
    My add-ons obviously

That is just yikes. Is that using MySQL full-text indexing? It just does a horrible job at scale. I'm curious how large your xf_conversation_message table is.

Elasticsearch index for +20 million posts is ~15gb or so, put that on ZFS and the on-disk compression ZFS can implement works very nicely at reducing disk bloat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. Vekseid

Vekseid Participant

+19
    It's only about 22 gigs, but I've got row compression on for the table - IIRC it was about 60 gigs when I imported it into Xenforo from MyBB before compression. That was over a year ago.

Part of it is, back when my forum was on MyBB and its atrocious PM schema, members resorted to using quote towers for their roleplays. So you have ten thousand people writing ~200 words per reply but there's this quote tower that fills up the entire column and some members considered it poor etiquette not to do this. So:

Code:
    select count(message_id) from xf_conversation_message where length(message) > 60000;
    +-------------------+
    | count(message_id) |
    +-------------------+
    |             14825 |
    +-------------------+

Compared to the result from Elliquiy's ~10 million PMs:

Code:
    select count(id_pm) from smf_personal_messages where length(body) > 60000;
    +--------------+
    | count(id_pm) |
    +--------------+
    |          281 |
    +--------------+

Comparatively, the index for the rest of Blue Moon Roleplaying is ~4 gigs.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  10. Mark87

Mark87 Aspirant

+10
    I have 2 that are a must:

Siropu Shoutbox and s9e media sites add on. Also use Who has visited widget add on. All 3 are great. The shoutbox is top notch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.