Facebook Marketplace Expanding to Europe

Discussion in 'Social Networking' started by Alfa1, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,771
    Today, we’re starting to roll out Marketplace to 17 countries across Europe (Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland), giving more people a single destination on Facebook to discover, buy and sell goods in their local communities.

Marketplace has already expanded to six countries (Australia, Canada, Chile, Mexico, New Zealand and the UK). Whether you’re a new parent looking for baby clothes or a collector looking for a rare find, you can feel good about buying and selling on Marketplace because it’s easy to view the public profiles of buyers and sellers, your mutual friends, and how long they’ve been on Facebook.

feed1.png

Throughout our initial rollout we have focused on making it easy for people to connect, browse and discover products. In May, more than 18 million new items posted for sale in Marketplace in the US, and that number continues to grow.

Source: https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2017/08/marketplace-is-expanding-to-europe/

2. R0binHood

R0binHood Adherent

+132
    I'm pretty sure they've had various forms of marketplaces available for years in the UK, or maybe that's just BST wall posts within groups themselves. I guess they're ramping up to compete with Gumtree (owned by eBay), eBay and Craigslist.

3. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,771
    I find this an interesting development. Facebook indeed offers more reliability because you can see who the seller / buyer is and how old the account is. It adds legitimacy in a time when other marketplaces are haunted by fraud and scammers.

I do wonder how much this will change Facebook, because people will en mass try to offer things that are in conflict with Facebook policy and Facebook will benefit from that. Its relatively easy to stop companies from breaking those policies but good look stopping 2 billion users.

4. Deathstarr

Deathstarr Forum Owner

+134
    I thought it would be better but you have to look though so much junk its almost easier to go buy new. Even with the search feature you still get a lot of junk over when you looking for. Alot of times stuff it damaged but they still want to sell it for new price. more or less its like craigslist where people sell junk.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted