Facebook Group vs Stand Alone Forum

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by fixer, Jul 15, 2018.

1. WildNeonSins

WildNeonSins Aspirant

+4
    ^ that's a meme about people faking their perfect lives in fb or instagram photos, nothing about people thinking facebook is better than forums.

2. DrCornFlakes

DrCornFlakes Aspirant

+35
    I'll just leave this here...
    Source: https://www.searchenginejournal.com/facebook-click-gap/303033/

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  3. overcast

overcast Adherent

+72
    Facebook groups have this feature of buying and selling, which often standalone forums don't support. And same can be said about groups features like promotion of the links or the products in some days in a week. Something forums often don't allow.

4. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    Well... The forum I'm building right now is going to be a XF install that will hopefully work well in tandem with the matching FB group.

It's a support community - but even as important, a database of helpful info with 'content discovery' at the forefront so that info can be easily searched/found in one place (my XF install hopefully :) ) without having to scour the entire internet, FB groups and/or other social media sites for info. I really think it will work well once the promotional phase starts. I'm still excited about the project so that's a good thing anyway LOL

J.

5. Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann Tazmanian

+44
    As someone who has experience with both forums and FB groups, I still prefer forums. Sure, FB groups come with an already captive audience (regardless of what your group is about, chances are there's someone on Facebook who shares your interests), but forums offer far more flexibility - you have control over the features, look, layout, etc.

6. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,948
    I'd prefer a forum but Facebook Groups is where its at. I have 3 groups on Facebook. One of them is only a few months old and getting ready to hit 1,000 members. It took me a long time to get 1,000 members on a forum, a very long time. It stinks. I'd rather it be a forum but with Facebook, most of the headache is gone to be honest. I hate to say that.

For those of you who know me, you know I was a forum fanatic at one time running several different ones at once. Now I have 0 stand alone forums. I miss it but I just don't know if it is suitable anymore.

7. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+172
    I'm in a ton of saltwater reefkeeping FB groups, and it's been a melee of panic starting yesterday afternoon. FB's new algorithm dinged just about every fish and coral group and page that had the word "auction" "trade" "buy" "sell" etc in the group title, of any aquatic groups that allowed buy/sell and shut them all down. A whole slew of them changed names almost all at the same time of the day and had to go through their entire post list and delete any live animal sales (up until more recently, "corals" didn't typically flag the no-animal rule...)

It's been hilarious watching all of them scramble, like they had no idea it was coming. Bunch of sites went and set up - guess what - FORUMS. Bunch of people posting "do we have to register an account" etc...good luck with having all your confirmation emails snagged by gmail/yahoo/AOL/hotmail spam filters and learning how to fix that, crash course in website and email management for a lot of folks

All kinds of people turning on FB now, big time. They are seeing the light, the other side of "oh but it's so easy to use"....

Facebook, making forums great again. At least for selling corals and fish. Yay.

8. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,038
    Wait, so are you saying BST groups are getting shut down? Or they're reach just isn't as good in peoples feeds?

I'm confused as to why BST groups would be getting shut down when there's specific tools in group posts for selling items.

9. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+172
    no animal sales allowed on FB. People have been bypassing it by crafting a post with a price/etc, taking a screenshot of the draft, and posting the screenshot

The new algorithm looks at posts approved/allowed and the type of group, looks for patterns, and pulls the pages based on the AI determination. A whole bunch of coral sale & auction groups went down

10. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,038
    Sorry, didn't see the animal bit, that makes sense.

What if they sell some fish food with a free fish chucked in? :p

5 flakes of fish food for sale, comes with free baby shark

11. Matt M

Matt M Developer

+311
    I was asked onto a podcast where we discussed this recently: Podcast with Matt: Facebook or Forums?

The bottom line is that Facebook Groups do have a place and are capable of running small communities. However, you need to be comfortable with the fact that they own your data, they control who sees your content, they can delete your group at any time, the platform can change around your group, they could start runnings promoted posts in your groups and so on.

Another thing you need to keep in mind is your exit strategy; what do you do when your group his 10k members? It becomes a chaotic mess in a Facebook Group as you cannot segment the traffic to specific areas within the community (aka forums and categories).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.