Facebook Group vs Stand Alone Forum

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by fixer, Jul 15, 2018.

1. DrCornFlakes

DrCornFlakes Aspirant

+35
    My forum, my rules, my "data".
    Facebook's group, Facebook's rules, Facebook's "data".

That, for me, is a sufficient reason to go for an owned forum.

If that's not enough for you: ask anyone that owns/owned a Facebook Page about "reach".
    That will tell you how it feels to build on swamp land... that you don't own.

Own forum = total independence.
    Facebook Group = total dependence.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. strugar

strugar Aspirant

+7
    Source?

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  3. Yappi

Yappi Enthusiast

+71
    Not sure of his source but I suspect it has to do with gaming forums. I'm amazed listening to some of the kids just graduating high school who are discovering that "forums are awesome." They think they found something totally new having no idea the history of forums.

4. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    These are my sentiments... If I'm going to put energy and creativity into building a community - I want it to be my own: my forum, my rules, my data. Otherwise - you're not an owner of content - but an unpaid worker bee, helping to build Facebook's content.

J.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+604
    It's funny, I have a group of people who want me to make a forum precisely because they're fed up of Facebook and just want to hang out somewhere off Facebook.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  6. Alan_SP

Alan_SP Neophyte

+5
    Editor (with Facebook, you can't do very complex posts, writing clearly and long texts with many images, videos, etc. is almost impossible (for just new line you need to know you need to use ctrl+enter)...

You also can't clearly quote people, manage discussion with many persons in one posting.

You can't easily read long discussions.

All in all, my biggest problem is, if I want to say anything a bit complex, Facebook isn't place to do this. Facebook is king of oneliners (there's even Twitter, which is king of kings of oneliners).

People adore Facebook because this. Their simple thoughts have perfect media.

But, if you need something more, on Facebook you can't get it. And you need something more. I.e. forum.

7. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,083
    Just to turn it around, what does a Facebook Group do that a standalone forum doesn't? I don't know because I've never been on Facebook. It seems to me, though, like the difference between setting up a counter inside a large department store vs having your own shop. You may get more traffic walking past your counter in the department store, but the people who specifically come to your shop have an interest in being there.

8. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,184
    facebook is free
    no software update
    no hacking
    instant growth
    easy advertising
    easy promotion
    people are already there
    mobillity is top notch
    apps
    push notifications that work
    easy photo and video sharing

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    This is an interesting comment to me - especially the 'easy advertising'

Now I wonder how can an owner/admin of a Facebook group make real, substantial dollars... That could be an entire thread of it's own really: How can I make money on Facebook #IWantZucksMoney or some such... But when you say advertising - do you mean advertising as in monetizing?

Honestly though, your list is spot on. And it's what I think today's forum developers should strive to provide us the ownership of top-notch, feature-rich scripts that are actually worth the amount of money charged per license.

J.

10. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,184
    easy , establish a customer base then sell them products

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  11. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,594
    Really? No accounts get hacked? You know, those admin type accounts that control those FB groups. ;)
    And almost impossible to search for an image in. I didn't see anything similar to this when I reviewed the groups I participate in.
    Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 8.22.51 PM.png
    Only if using their app. Their mobile on browser experience isn't much different than forums.
    Just putting a FB group out there doesn't guarantee "instant growth". It still has to have content to draw the people... no different than a forum.
    You DO have a slightly more captive audience in the FB environment as they can only see what has been listed there - forget any info on the rest of the web.
    And you are also under a stricter "thou shall do as WE say, not as you want" environment.

FB has it's place... personally I try to stay off it as much as possible as most people just post cat/dog/animal animated GIF's/videos and then recipes.

12. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,083
    That's a nice list of facebook features. What's missing is anything about developing a better community where like-minded individuals can share ideas and debate or discuss their topic over time. That is what forums are designed for, not as shills to put adverts in people's faces in the hope of making money for the admin.

13. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,184
    thousands of facebook groups do that everyday

14. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,184
    facebook does have instant growth i started a toyota truck group and had over 100 members in one week and i never even shared a link to the group

15. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+992
    Forum = You control. Facebook = They control and can take it all down if they want to.

16. DrCornFlakes

DrCornFlakes Aspirant

+35
    Yes, that's so much easier than inserting an ad code once and turn on autopilot.

Another one: let's talk about discoverability.

I'm yet to find a Facebook Group when doing any Google/Bing/Whatever search.

And don't even get me started on Facebook search...
    Facebook Group's old posts are practically inexistent to the world, be them usefull, interesting or not.

Forum's posts are discoverable decades after, in any Google/Bing/Whatever search.

Doubts? Just try it. Open Facebook and Google and do a search about something specific.

17. Alan_SP

Alan_SP Neophyte

+5
    This is my biggest problem with posting anything on Facebook.

Facebook lives only in now (some would say we all should live here and now). There's no past (well, it depends, but for all practical purposes, it is like there's no past at all), only now.

With forums, you have it all, from first post, to the last.

Some messages (hey, do you want to go for a beer right now?) are just fine with this. But, if you want to write something you don't want to repeat over and over (and even with forums you find lazy people who don't read posts before theirs), you need something that is not Facebook, i.e. forums.

18. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,184
    seo is garbage because google owns the internet and hates facebook because of google+

facebook dont have to rely on seo when every product you buy and every comerical you see for anything tells you to “ SEE US ON FACEBOOK” they have free advertising everywhere ... not to mention the facebook app is preinstalled on some cell phones when you buy it

19. esquire

esquire Habitué

+629
    I'll provide full disclosure. I'm what you'd call a moderator at Google's Webmaster Central. When you ask questions there about your website performance, SEO, ranking, malware, DMCA issues, etc. I'm one of the small group of "Top Contributors" who answers.

There are a great many comments here that I think might not take the full picture into account. I see Facebook and forums as two entirely different places in this latest era of online communications. There is some overlap. But they aren't close to being the same even though each may have its own pros and cons.

Most important - control. I run my forums the way I wish. On Facebook, you can find yourself prisoner to rogue members and good luck trying to convince Facebook to act in your best interest because another member(s) has only malicious intent.

Many of my members on my forums want the option of full or partial anonymity. They don't want to have their name and life history for others to see with whom they only share an interest online.

Do you actually own the content in your Facebook forum... or does Facebook and the users? Can you back it up your data? Consider questions like these.

There is no "easy growth" and "easy advertising" and "easy promotion" on Facebook unless you're talking about them making money off of your efforts. If you think for a minute that they have allowed you to put up UGC on their site because they want you to find your windfall, good luck with that thought. Sure they'd like a win-win but their platform is designed more for them to be able to monetize your visitors. Do you get full analytics? Do you have the luxury of placing whatever type of ads or lead generation or income generating devices on their platform? No.

Everything has a pro and con. If you want to really build a successful online business, chances are you're going to need your independence and make the appropriate investment yourself. Half the time I hear about relying on SEO... fact is that much of the time it's not even so much SEO as it is a UI/UX fail or other problems which a responsible webmaster hasn't addressed. No one said that being successful was easy but it's like that with most businesses, online and in the physical world. If you want a nice sandbox to play in with your friends that is easy to maintain and does some basic things very well, you've got what you need on Facebook. But don't mistake the two at all.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Yappi

Yappi Enthusiast

+71
    There are some people that prefer forums. There are some that prefer Facebook.

What I don't understand is why people that prefer Facebook come onto a site filled with people talking about building forums and tell them that forums aren't as good as Facebook.

Personally, I cannot see how any serious webmaster would make a Facebook group as their primary website. Seems like alot of work for something that you don't own and cannot make any money from.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.